Summary: Five Key Practices to turn by biggest weakness into my greatest strength
God uses Weak people
Acts Series: ¡§Completely Irreligious, Yet Radically Christian¡¨ Part 31
Pastor Jeff Christopherson
August 17, 2003
FIVE KEY PRACTICES TO TURN MY BIGGEST WEAKNESS INTO MY GREATEST STRENGTH:
1. Am I Growing in Knowledge of God¡¦s Word?
¡§Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures.¡¨ Acts 18:24
¡§Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.¡¨ 1 Peter 2:2-3
2. Am I Growing in Excellence in God¡¦s Purpose?
¡§He had been instructed in the way of the Lord ¡K and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John.¡¨ Acts 18:25
¡§Since a dull ax requires great strength, sharpen the blade. That¡¦s the value of wisdom; it helps you succeed.¡¨ Ecclesiastes 10:10 (NLT)
3. Am I Growing in Passion for God¡¦s Kingdom?
¡§¡Kand he spoke with great fervor¡K¡¨ Acts 18:25
¡§Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.¡¨ Romans 12:11
¡§Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.¡¨ Matthew 6:33
4. Am I Growing in Humility with God¡¦s People?
¡§When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately.¡¨ Acts 18:26
¡§But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.¡¨ 2 Corinthians 4:7
5. Am I Growing in Availability to God¡¦s Spirit?
¡§But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.¡¨ 1 Peter 3:15
THREE QUESTIONS TO GAUGE MY SPIRITUAL AVAILABILITY:
A. Who Owns My Treasures?
¡§¡Kthey invited him to their home¡K¡¨ Acts 18:26
¡§No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.¡¨ Matthew 6:24
B. Who Owns My Time?
¡§When Apollos wanted to go to Achaia, the brothers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples there to welcome him¡¨ Acts 18:27a
¡§Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.¡¨ Psalm 90:12
C. Who Owns My Talents?
¡§On arriving, he was a great help to those who by grace had believed. For he vigorously refuted the Jews in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ.¡¨ Acts 18:27b-28
¡§For we are God¡¦s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.¡¨ Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)
Scripture passages from the New International Version unless otherwise noted.
Home Church Discussion Guide: BEING WEAK
1. What is one of your favorite, ¡¥rags to riches / underdog¡¦ story? When was a time when you¡¦ve felt totally inadequate in an intimidating situation? What happened? 2. (Context) Paul has left Corinth after an 18 month effort, went back to Antioch where everything began, and now prepares to launch his 3rd missionary journey visiting the congregations he has already started. Priscilla and Aquila, Paul¡¦s tentmaking companions left Corinth for Ephesus. Apollos, most likely an itinerant Old Testament scholar had been exposed to the message of Christ and was passionately sharing what he understood in the Jewish synagogues in the Roman province of Asia. Read Acts 18:24-26. What do we learn about Apollos in this introduction? What do we learn about Priscilla and Aquila? What do we learn about humility from both cases? Why is ¡¥weakness¡¦ such an integral part of true strength? 3. Read Acts 18:27-28. What do we learn about Apollos from these verses? How significant does Priscilla¡¦s and Aquila¡¦s humble contribution seem now? 4. Read 1 Corinthians 1:11-12 and 3:4-9. The ministry and spiritual responsibility of Apollos has obviously been enlarged. How does Paul interpret the ¡¥success story¡¦ to the Corinthian believers? What should we learn? From this account in Apollos¡¦ life, how is ¡¥weakness¡¦ the secret to spiritual success? 5. Pray for ¡¥weakness¡¦ in your Home Church and in The Sanctuary.
„¶ 2003, Jeff Christopherson, The Sanctuary