Summary: GOD’S INDICTMENT AGAINST HIS PEOPLE FOR: INSINCERE WORSHIP & UNRIGHTEOUS CONDUCT
GOD’S INDICTMENT AGAINST HIS PEOPLE FOR:
INSINCERE WORSHIP & UNRIGHTEOUS CONDUCT
I. (:1-6) CALL TO JUDGMENT: "God Himself is Judge"
A. Character of the Judge
1. the Mighty One = God = the Lord
2. the Holy King = perfection of beauty
out of Zion = the holy, royal city
3. the Righteous Judge
B. Summons to Come to the Courtroom
1. Summons Issued by God
a. He will no longer keep silent
b. He is a God to be feared
1) fire devours before Him
2) It is very tempestuous around Him
2. Summons Addressed to Everyone
a. To the witnesses:
1) the heavens
2) all of the earth
b. To those being judged = Israel = God’s people
"my godly ones"
those who have made a covenant with God by sacrifice
II. (:7-13) INDICTMENT FOR INSINCERE WORSHIP
External Sacrifices Cannot Absolve a Heart that is not Thankful!
God does not NEED our sacrifices ("the world is mine and all it contains")
III. (:14-15) THE KEY TO DELIVERANCE = THANKSGIVING + OBEDIENCE
IV. (:16-21) INDICTMENT FOR UNRIGHTEOUS CONDUCT
Lip Service Cannot Absolve a Life that Disregards God’s Law
V. (:22-23) THE KEY TO DELIVERANCE = THANKSGIVING + OBEDIENCE
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Is it surprising that both “beauty” and “fiery judgment” are ascribed to God within the same context (vv.2-3)?
2) Of what value is ritual if it is not accompanied by righteousness? How much of Christendom holds on to the form of godliness while denying its power? (2 Tim. 3:5)
(Clarke: “God listens to the language of the life, not of the lip.”) Does our walk match our profession? Is our worship sincere?
3) How is God’s judgment of His own beloved children different than His judgment upon the wicked?
4) What type of unethical and wicked behavior is described in vv.18-20 as that which God despises? Is there anything that escapes God’s notice and realm of accountability? When do we make false assumptions based on the silence of God?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)