Summary: God’s People Must Prevail
God’s People Must Prevail - Neh Ch 4:7- 23
1) Prevail Over Derision - 4:1-6
a) The Feebleness of The People - 4:1,2 b) The Futility of Their Task - 4:2
c) The Foolishness of Their Faith - 4:2 d) The Frailty of Their Work - 4:3
e) The Fulfillment of Their Actions - 4:6 So built we the wall; and all the wall was joined together unto the half thereof: for the people had a mind to work.
2) Prevail Over Discouragement - 4:7-21
a) The Curse of Discouragement - 4:7-9 8 And conspired all of them together to come and to fight against Jerusalem, and to hinder it.
b) The Cause of Discouragement - 4:10-12 (1) When We Are Worn Out - 4:10 The strength of the bearers of burdens is decayed
(2) When We Are Weighed Down - 4:10 and there is much rubbish
(3) When We Are Wrought Up - 4:12 they said unto us ten times, From all places whence ye shall return unto us they will be upon you. c) The Cure for Discouragement - 4:13-21
(1) The Arming of The People - 4:13 I even set the people after their families with their swords, their spears, and their bows. (2) The Assuring of The People - 4:14 Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible,
(3) The Arousing of The People - 4:14 and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses. (a) Our Faith Is Worth Fighting For - 4:14 (b) Our Families Are Worth Fighting For -
(c) Our Future Is Worth Fighting For -
(4) The Appointing of The People - 4:15-18 (a) The Return To The Work 15 that we returned all of us to the wall, every one unto his work
(b) The Rules of The Work - 4:16 that the half of my servants wrought in the work, and the other half of them held both the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the habergeons;
(c) The Rigours of The Work - 4:17, They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon.
(5) The Assembling of The People - 4: 20 In what place therefore ye hear the sound of the trumpet, resort ye thither unto us: our God shall fight for us.
(6) The Admonishing of The People - 4:20, our God shall fight for us.
Ps 42:5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.
3) Prevail Over Dangers - 4:22,23 Likewise at the same time said I unto the people, Let every one with his servant lodge within Jerusalem, that in the night they may be a guard to us, and labour on the day. 23 So neither I, nor my brethren, nor my servants, nor the men of the guard which followed me, none of us put off our clothes, saving that every one put them off for washing.
4) Prevail Over The Devil
“The Strategies of Satan" 1 Peter 5:8 Says Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
a. Lions are Strong
A Full Grown Lion Weighs Anywhere Between 250 to 500 Pounds; It Can Leap 14 Feet; It Has the Pulling Power of 21 Men; It Can Run 40 Miles Per Hour, and It Has Triple the Reaction Speed of a Man -> It Will Attack an Animal Five Times Its Size, and Once It is involved in the Attack, It is Tenacious, Cruel and Merciless
b. Lions are Subtle
-> Then, the Lion Will Camouflage Itself Behind Some Tall Grass so That It Can Get Within 20 to 30 Feet of Its Prey, and the Lion Will be Virtually Invisible With the Exception of Its Eyes It Attacks The Most Vulnerable and Careless
-> Jesus Warned Peter in Luke 22:31 by Saying, And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
-> And Jesus Warned Him Again in Verse 46 And said unto them, Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation.
-> Satan Deceived Eve; He Devoured Cain; He Defamed Moses; He Disgraced Samson; He Dethroned Saul, He Defeated David; He Defiled Uzziah, He Destroyed Judas, and He Disabled Paul
-> That is Why Paul Said in 2 Corinthians 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.
I. The Strategy of Deception