Summary: Mary, the mother of Jesus, provides the example for Godly moms to follow.
Intro: In my sermon today, I want to give a challenge to Moms and the rest that are here on this Mother’s Day. A mother is not merely one who gives birth to a child, but a lady that is willing to take responsibility for a life.
Mary was a Godly young lady, so Godly that God chose her to bare His Son.
Our Savior was birthed and reared by a Godly woman, she was not perfect, but she was Godly. Before Jesus was ever born, there were traits in her life that I believe will be in the life of every Godly mother. The world in which she lived was full of perversion, a wicked government and an insufficient religion - But Mary was a Godly mother in a Wicked world. How?
I. She had a Personal Relationship with God - vs. 26-34
A. Mary’s Conversion
1. She had experienced grace -vs. 28 Highly favoured - compassed wih grace!
2. She had experienced God - the Lord is with thee. She was Spiritually Pure.
vs. 28 "And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. 30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God."
B. Mary’s Character
1. She was Morally Pure - We need more of this today! Never been with a man, not immoral, but keeping herself for her husband. vs. 27 "To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary."
2. She was Mentally Pure - Innocence vs. 29 "And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be."
C. Mary’s Confession - vs. 46-48
1. She Confessed A Needed Savior. vs. 46 "And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour."
2. She Confessed she was a Needy Sinner. vs. 48 "For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed."
II. She had a Proper Respect for Others - Luke 1-2
A. She Welcomed the Attention of the Shepherds - Pondered it
They came to worship Jesus, and she welcomed it.
B. She Worshiped with the Attenders of the Synagogue (Simian and Anna)
1. Simeon held the baby.
2. He prophesied to Mary.
3. Anna gave thanks to the Lord.
And Mary is notably compliant with it all! She had respect for her family
C. She Willingly Followed Her Husband - Luke 2:13-14 (Angel appeared to Joseph)
1. She took him at his word (men, you have to earn that).
2. She trusted him in his way -EGYPT? You know they do not like the Jews!
D. She Wisely directed Her Child
1. Imagine Her Thrill of being a Parent - After Simeon’s prophecy:
Luke 2:33 "And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him."
They knew what the angel and Elisabeth had said, it is not that they did not know he was a special child, but now an even greater prophecy. (Marveled - to be astonished and pleased at what they heard)
2. The Training as a Parent
Luke 2:51 "And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man."