Summary: Lesson 5 in a series of expository lessons from 1 John
Children of God
A. Waiting on Birth
1. Three expectant fathers were in the waiting room after their wives were “taken back because of potential complications.”
a) After several anxious minutes, a nurse came from the operating room and called for one of the fathers.
b) “Congratulations, you are the proud father of twins.”
c) The man said, “That it was ironic because he played baseball for the Minnesota Twins.”
2. A little while later the nurse appeared again.
a) She came to another one of the men and offered her congratulations on them being the parents of triplets.
b) The man though this was ironic as well, since he worked for 3M company.
3. The third father in the room became ashen and almost fainted.
a) “What’s the matter with you sir, are you feeling poorly?”
b) I am a little concerned about my wife, because I work for the 7-Up Company.
B. Children and Parents
1. All parents should desire the best for their children.
a) They should also expect the best from their children.
b) Good is no exception.
2. Though God has many children, He expects them to live in a certain way.
a) God expects more of His children than following a list of do’s and don’ts
b) He wants His children to demonstrate a lifestyle that is consistent with His character.
3. In 1 John 2:15-3:15, God highlights key characteristics of His children.
a) That the world may recognize who they are.
b) That they may recognize one another.
c) Tonight from 1 John 2:15-29 we will explore four of those keys.
d) Four things that abide in the Christian.
II. Being a Child of God
A. Love For God Abides in Us (2:15-17)
1. John exhorts us to avoid loving the world.
a) Some have called this the Demas Syndrome – 2 Timothy 4:10
b) The world is these verses defines the part of God’s creation that is captivated by the influence of Satan – 1 John 5:19
c) If love for the world drives us, then the love of God does not abide in us.
2. There are three key components to the Demas Syndrome
a. John calls this “the lusts of the flesh.”
b. Carnality pushes us to follow after the sinful nature of man.
c. Carnality exalts the physical over the spiritual.
d. Genesis 3:6a – “So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food…”
e. Man does not live by the things of the flesh, but rather by the things of God – Matthew 4:4
a. John calls this “the pride of life.”
b. Boasting about material possessions and our self-worth.
c. This causes men to have more confidence in themselves, than in God.
d. Genesis 3:6c – “…a tree desirable to make one wise…”
e. Pride goes before destruction – Proverbs 16:19
3. When the love of God abides in His children
b) Covetousness is replaced by contentment – 1 Timothy 6:6-8
c) Conceitedness is replaced with humility – James 4:10
B. Wisdom Abides in Us (18-23)
1. Recognize the antichrists.
a) They had been part of the body but departed from the faith – 1 Timothy 4:1
b) There are two basic meanings for the word antichrist according to Vine’s
a. Those that are against Christ – Overtly opposed
b. Those assuming the guise of Christ – Pretending to be
c. 1 John 2:22 – “…He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son.
2. Reassure What is Known
a) Know the truth – John 8:31-32
b) Acknowledge the Father and Son – Matthew 10:32
c) Sift through the lies – Psalm 63:11
3. Matthew 10:16 – “Behold I send you our as a sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.”
C. Truth Abides in Us (24-27)
1. Truth Originates with God
a) John 14:6 – I am the Way, Truth, and Light
b) Psalm 119:160 – The entirety of Your word is true.
c) John 17:17 – Your word is truth.
d) The word of God can be trusted to be pure – Proverbs 30:5-6
2. Truth is Accompanied With Eternal Promises
a) God is not slacking concerning promises – 2 Peter 3:9
b) The promise of eternal life is the gift of God – Romans 6:23
c) It is a gift that is afforded to all in Christ – Philippians 3:9
d) Truth is eternal and lasting – 1 Peter 1:23-25
3. Truth Protects Us From Deception
a) Truth exposed the unfruitful works of darkness – Ephesians 5:11
b) Truth protects us from temptation – Luke 4:1-13
c) Truth provides wisdom for salvation – 2 Timothy 3:15