Summary: In the sermon we will learn what God looks for in the person God calls for service.
Gods Choice 1 Samuel 16:1-13
1. First let us consider the Character of David he had integrity, he was responsible, and he was faithful.
• David was a great spokesperson A servant of Saul said , "I have seen a son of Jesse of Bethlehem who knows how to play the harp. He is a brave man and a warrior. He speaks well and is a fine-looking man. And the LORD is with him."
• David was personable, likeable, pleasant personality Saul liked David and made him a armor - bearer
• David is brave he kills a lion and a bear
• David also kills the famed Giant Goliath with a sling shot 45David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head.
2. All these traits were wonderful but the most important to God for a King was Devout - ness
• David was a man after Gods own heart: God said, `I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.' Acts 13:22
• David was obedient God in a dream told David's Son Solomon the following 1 kings 3; 14And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life."
• David Trusted God despite his enemies who were numerous Psalm 64:6They plot injustice and say, "We have devised a perfect plan!" Surely the mind and heart of man are cunning. 7But God will shoot them with arrows; suddenly they will be struck down. 8He will turn their own tongues against them and bring them to ruin; all who see them will shake their heads in scorn.
3. Consider what God Values for a King
A. God values Your Love for God the Shema is recited every morning and evening by Orthodox Jews and have been for hundreds of years.4Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.A 5Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
B. God Values Your Faith in Him. David believed God could sustain him. 5I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. 6I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side.
C. God Values your Heart not your height God Values Humility not Haughtiness 7But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
4. God Makes His Choice for the Next King of Israel
• Bin A Dab passes in front of Samuel ", "The LORD has not chosen this one