Summary: God's Deliverance :
God's Deliverance : Ps 107 v.1 - 22 O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. 1. FROM SIN —Psalms 107: 2-9 THE CHURCH REDEEMED – Vss. 2 Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy; THE CHURCH RECRUITED – Vs. 3 And gathered them out of the lands, from the east, and from the west, from the north, and from the south. THE CHURCH RESCUED – Vss. 4-5 They wandered in the wilderness in a solitary way; they found no city to dwell in. 5 Hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted in them. THE CHURCH RELIANT – Vs. 6 Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them out of their distresses. THE CHURCH REDIRECTED – Vs. 7 And he led them forth by the right way, that they might go to a city of habitation. 2. FROM SLAVERY -Psalms 107:10- v.16 For he hath broken the gates of brass, and cut the bars of iron in sunder.
1. The Remorse In their Slavery - 10 , There Was : - a. Darkness - 10 Such as sit in darkness
b. Death - 10 and in the shadow of death
c. Detention - 10 being bound in affliction and iron;
2. The Reason For their Slavery - 11 Because they rebelled against the words of God, and contemned the counsel of the most High:
3. The Rescue From their Slavery - 12,13 a. With Humility - 12 Therefore he brought down their heart with labour; they fell down, and there was none to help
b. With Help - 13 Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saved them out of their distresses.
4. The Release Out Of Slavery - 14-16 . a. New Life - 14 He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death,
b. New Liberty - 14 and brake their bands in sunder
5. The Recognition Of their Slavery - 15, Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men 16 For he hath broken the gates of brass, and cut the bars of iron in sunder.
3. FROM SICKNESS Psalms 107:17-22
1. Their Folly - 17-19 ,
a. The Actions of Fools - 17 their transgression, and because of their iniquities
b. The Affliction of Fools - 17 are afflicted. c. The Abhorrence by Fools - 18 Their soul abhorreth all manner of meat;
d. The Approach of Fools - 18 and they draw near unto the gates of death. e. The Appeal of Fools - 19 Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble
2. Their Freedom - 19-22 a. From Distresses - 19,20
1) From Physical Distress - 19 and he saveth them out of their distresses
2) From Spiritual Distress - 20 He sent his word, and healed them
3) From Emotional Distress - 20 and delivered them from their destructions
b. For Devotion - 21,22
1) Through Thanksgiving - 21 Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness,
2) Through Tributes - 22 And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving
3) Through Testimony - 22 and declare his works with rejoicing.
I. Remember God’s Past Activity (OUR SALVATION) Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy; A-BY GOD’S PROVISION OF A SACRIFICE John 3:16 For God B-BY GOD’S POWER OVER SIN Luke 5:24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house. C-BY GOD’S PLAN FOR SINNERS 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. II. Rejoice In God’s Present Activity (OUR SATISFACTION) Psalms 107:9 For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness. A-IN GOD’S PRESENCE HERE Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. B-IN GOD’S PRESENT HELP Psalms 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. C-IN GOD’S PROMISES TO HEAR 2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. III. Rest in God’s Promised Activity (OUR SECURITY) Psalms 107:30 Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven. A-THE RETURN OF OUR SAVIOUR---1 Thessalonians 4:13 - 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words. B-THE REWARD OF THE SAINTS Rev. 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. C-THE REIGN FOR THE SUFFERERS---2Timothy 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.