Summary: The nearer we draw to the Lord, the greater will be our appreciation of His gifts
GOD’S GREATEST GIFT
Text: Mt. 1:20, "But while he thought on these things, behold,
the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying,
Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy
wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost."
Intro: The gifts and the giving of them began with the
Heavenly Father (Jehovah-Jireh-The Lord will provide).
Ungodly folk give to receive, impress, and appease.
Our Lord God gives to bless, enable, encourage, and
Theme: The nearer we draw to the Lord, the greater will be
our appreciation of His gifts.
I. Worldly gifts are: II. Father’s gifts are:
A. decaying A. divine
B. dispensible B. effective
C. earthly C. enduring
D. temporary D. indispensible
(can’t do w/o them)
E. transitory (changeable) E. permanent
F. weak F. stable
III. God’s Greatest Gift
A. John 3:16
1. Mary conceived of the Holy Ghost.
. Mary wrapped a present to the world.
B. Jesus this great gift is the:
1. Bread of Life, Jn. 6:35
2. Door, Jn. 10:7
3. Gate for the sheep, Jn. 8:12
4. Good Shepherd, Jn. 10:14
5. King, Jn. 18:37
6. Light of the World, Jn. 8:12
7. Resurrection & The Life, Jn 11:25
8. True Vine. Jn. 15:1
9. Way, The Truth & The Life, Jn. 14:6
GOD’S GREATEST GIFT CONTINUED
IV. John’s N. T. Record
A. Bread of Life, 6:35
1. Jesus = source of all life
2. Col. 1:16-17
3. Saint’s total supply totally
4. Correct dose and amount
5. Heavenly Father’s geatest gift--
our needed portion (Ps. 119:57)
a. P of victory
b. P of hope
c. overcoming power
d. Godly convictions
B. Door, 10:7
1. access to the Father
2. most important door ever;
more important that doors to:
a. Oval Office b. Governor’s Mansion
c. Mayor’s Hideout d. bedroom door
e. bank vault f. nuclear arsenals
C. Gate for the sheep, 8:12
1. guards entering and exiting
2. prepared to lay down His life for the sheep
D. Good Shepherd
1. no hireling
2. knows His flock
E. King, 18:37
1. King of kings
2. " " righteousness
3. " " the ages
4. " " Heaven
5. " " the Church
F. Light of the world, 8:12
1. true light ( Jn. 1:9 )
2. same always (not bright today, then dim tomorrow)
3. no brown/black-outs
4. not foxfire with its weak glow
G. Resurrection, 11:25
1. Because He lives we shall live.
2. J.C. = firstfruits of them that slept (1 Cor. 15:20)
H. True Vine, 15:1
1. supplies the branches
2. life giving connection
I. Life, 1:4
1. In His preexistence LIFE was perfect (Jn. 3:13)
2. In His birth LIFE was manifested/shown (Jn. 1:14)
3. In His days LIFE was consecrated (Jn. 8:29)
4. In His death LIFE was offered (Jn. 10:15)
5. In His resurrection LIFE was accepted (Acts 3:15)
6. In His glory LIFE is shared (Jn 14:19)
7. LIFE THEN IS NOT SOMETHING, BUT SOMEONE.
Concl: God’s greatest gift satisfies mankind’s greatest need.
A gift, by its very nature, is not completed until received.
The wealth is in the bank, but we must draw it out.
The closer we draw to The Father, the greater our
appreciation for His gift.