Summary: The heart that comes under the influence of God’s word will bear the image of Jesus
God’s Guiding Light
Topic: The heart that comes under the influence of God’s word will bear the image of Jesus
Illustration: Imagine that you are in the woods late at night, and it’s moonless and pitch black.
You’re failed to make it back to camp before sunset and now it’s so dark you can’t see a thing, or tell where you are.
As you are groping around in the dark, you keep tripping as you try to find your way back.
As you try to find your way can’t be for sure you are going in the right direction.
Anxiety begins to set in, and you begin to feel hungry and thirsty…and you realize that you have been out in this darkness for a long time.
And as you roam around aimlessly, the more helpless you feel.
Then you remember you have a flashlight in your backpack and all of a sudden there is light!
Now you are able to see for sure that you are on a wrong path.
But this time you are able to see the rocks, roots, branches before you.
You are no longer lost, and you are able to find your way home!
1st you appreciate having the light
2nd The dark woods are the world around us.
3rd EVERY MAN HAS A PATH OF HIS OWN
4th The path that you cannot find is the narrow road that leads to life, which only a few will find.
Ps 119:105 KJV
105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
God has a guiding light for heavenward travelers.
1. It directs us to the STARTING-POINT
• It takes him to the Cross, and looks to Jesus.
2. It warns the traveler of the PERILS THAT WILL BESET HIS PATH.
3. It shows the traveler how to safely ADVANCE ALONG HIS JOURNEY STEP BY STEP.
a. It is not only "a light to the path," showing which is the right way, but a "lamp to the feet," showing whether the traveler is keeping in that path.
b. This step-by-step light gives general and specific principles to live by.
The light of God has several functions:
There are many kinds of lamps, all of them having different uses and yet all of them intended to give light, but in very different places. Let us look at a few of them.
1. God’s light is an beacon. (light houses)
A. Navigation aids to avoid dangers.
B. God’s Word does all this. It shows men the true way, and keeps them from wreck and death.
2. Hurricane Lamp God’s light cannot be blown out in the wildest of storms, or strongest winds
A. Oh! how Satan has tried in times of persecution; but you know when the Word of God gets into a man’s heart there it sticks. You may, some of you, before you die, be persecuted for your religion.
B. Don’t be afraid stand the storm. Not so with the schemes and plans of evil, they shall all be put out.
3. God’s light is an comforting night light.
A. When people are ill, and have to lay awake all the night in pain, they don’t want to be left in the dark; and yet, they, don’t want any glaring light.
B. They want a cheerful, yet soft light, and there are parts of the Bible just suited, such as
1. "The Lord is my Shepherd."
2. "Let not your hearts be troubled."
3. "I will give to him that is athirst."
4. “I will be with you always”
We need the word of God, because mans truth changes with every generation
2 Tim 3:16-17 NIV
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
The dangers of not knowing the word, and not having the light of God
1. Marshall Applewhite the leader of Heaven’s Gate Travelers – The Highly educated victims who committed suicide after the appearance of Comet Hale-Bopp
2. Do you remember seeing the aftermath of Johnstown? Why any one in there right minds would allow their children to drink that tainted cool aide, and then drink it themselves. 800 Lost souls
• The people of Johnstown were brainwashed into thinking that Jim Jones was their savior.
3. Vernon Wayne Howell known as "David Koresh" the leader of a Branch Dravidian’s
• Why would his followers who ran back into the compound that was engulfed in flames.
4. The followers of the FLDS sect, (Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints)
• Warren Jeffs a 52 year old man wedding pictures with a 12 year old girl kissing on their wedding day – How could the Dad, or Mother of this child allow such a thing to happen?