Summary: INTIMATE COMMUNICATION WITH THE LORD CENTERING AROUND HIS WORD IS THE PATHWAY TO ANTICIPATING HIS HELPING HAND
INTIMATE COMMUNICATION WITH THE LORD CENTERING AROUND
HIS WORD IS THE PATHWAY TO ANTICIPATING HIS HELPING HAND
The tone is one of humble petition rather than arrogant demanding: "Let my ...".
As throughout this psalm, note the different references to the Word of God:
"Thy word" (twice)
"Thy commandments" (twice)
There is one reference in each verse -- the Word of God is the preeminent theme. "Lighted Pathways" is a study in how the Word of God functions in the life of a believer as "a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path."
I. (:169-172) INTIMATE COMMUNICATION WITH THE LORD
CENTERS AROUND HIS WORD
A. (:169-170) We Pray to God and Listen to His Word
"Let my cry come before Thee, O Lord"
"Let my supplication come before Thee"
2. Listening to His Word
"Give me understanding according to Thy word"
"Deliver me according to Thy word"
B. (:171-172) We Praise God and Listen to His Word
"Let my lips utter praise"
"Let my tongue sing of Thy word"
2. Listening to His Word
"For Thou dost teach me thy statutes"
"For all Thy commandments are righteousness"
II. (:173-176) OUR FOCUS ON GOD’S WORD ENCOURAGES US TO
ANTICIPATE HIS HELPING HAND
A. Our Focus on God’s Word
1. Our Priority = "For I have chosen Thy precepts"
2. Our Delight = "Thy law is my delight "
3. Our Sufficiency = "let Thine ordinances help me"
4. Our Perseverance = "I do not forget Thy commandments"
B. Our Anticipation of God’s Helping Hand
1. God’s Willingness = "Let Thy hand be ready to help me"
2. God’s Timing = "I long for Thy salvation"
3. God’s Majesty = "Let my soul live that it may praise Thee"
4. God’s Compassion = "I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Thy servant"
* * * * * * * * * *
1) If we gain God’s hearing, we have gained everything (cf. vs. 169). What would be some things in our life that would be obstacles to God hearing our prayer?
2) Do we think that we can arrive at a position of “understanding” through our own reasoning and study or do we truly seek the person of God directly to grant us the necessary understanding?
3) Reflect on the significance of the different words used here to refer to God’s word. Do we get a sense of the richness and depth of God’s revelation? Do we truly have a heart that longs to obey God’s commands?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)