Summary: One of the greatest needs of the church is for holiness.
1 Peter 1:13-16 KJV Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;  As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:  But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;  Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
I. INTRODUCTION—THE PRIORITY OF HOLINESS
-There is a great responsibility to teach and preach holiness in our times because it needs to be a high priority. It is imperative that we hear God’s high call to holiness.
-Our culture is changing so dramatically every day that we can get punch drunk unless there is a willingness to find our bearings through a clear understanding of Scripture and a relationship with God through prayer.
There is a story told of an elderly woman who was pulled over by a state trooper on the interstate. When the trooper got up to the car, he told the lady he was going to have to give her a ticket. She wondered why he would be giving her a ticket because she said that she was so meticulous about the posted speed limit signs. He told her that there were speed limits on the interstate and that she was only driving 20 mph which was too slow, she had to drive at least 45 mph. She assured him that she had just noticed a sign that said 20 on it. He kindly told her that she was in Interstate 20 and that this was simply the road number.
As he was explaining this he had already noticed a woman who appeared to be paralyzed in the passenger seat. Her hands were seemingly glued to the dashboard, eyes wide in fright, and a twisted look on her face. The trooper being concerned for her health asked the driver if the lady needed medical attention. The driver replied back to him and said that obviously she was in that state because of her driving patterns. The driver said, “Now I know what is wrong with her. I just turned off of State Highway 121 before I got on Interstate 20!”
-Our world is changing just like that. However, God’s standards never change and what He has called for in the 1st Century, He is still calling for in the 21st Century.
A. General Quotes on Holiness
Tyron Edwards—A holy life is not an ascetic, or gloomy, or solitary life, but a life regulated by divine truth and faithful in Christian duty. It is living above the world while we are still in it.
Carlo Carretto—The world and the Cross do not get along too well together, and comfort and holiness do not share the same room.
Leighton—A holy life is a voice; it speaks when the tongue is silent, and is either a constant attraction or a perpetual reproof.
B. Biblical Quotes on Holiness
-Just a quick look through the New Testament reveals that it is full of unique commands and specific calls for personal holiness.
• 1 Peter 2:11 KJV . . . abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
• Romans 8:13 KJV . . . mortify the deeds of the body.
• Romans 13:14 KJV . . . make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.
• 1 John 2:15 KJV Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. . .
• 2 Timothy 2:22 KJV Flee also youthful lusts. . .
• Ephesians 4:22 KJV . . . put off . . . the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
• Ephesians 4:24 KJV . . put on the new man . .
• Philippians 4:8 KJV . . . think on these things.
• Colossians 3:16 KJV Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly . . .
• Ephesians 6:14 KJV Stand . . . having on the breastplate of righteousness;
• 1 Corinthians 9:27 KJV But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection. . .
• Romans 12:1 KJV . . . present your bodies a living sacrifice. . .
• James 1:21 KJV . . . lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word. . .
• 2 Corinthians 7:1 KJV . . . let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness. . .
• 1 Peter 2:1 KJV . . . laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
• 1 Peter 2:2 KJV As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: