Summary: God judges all of His creation.
• 3 examples of how God judges those who reject, distort, or ignore the truth of His word.
1. God’s judgment of His people.
• Vs. 5 Jude wanted to bring this matter to their attention, but not because it was something they have never heard before.
• Jude wanted to make sure that not only did they know it, but also that they comprehended the true meaning. Mistake we can often make as Christians.
• All those who had been exiled out of Egypt who did not believer that God would be able to deliver them into the Promised Land did not live through the 40 years of wandering to see God’s promise realized.
• Numbers 14:1-4; 28-30
• From our text there are two types of judgment Jude is warning these believers about from this illustration.
o Judgment on those who were misleading; the false teachers. Hebrews 3:16-19; 10:26-27
o Judgment on those in the body that were being misled. 1Corinthians 10:5-12
• These are given as examples to us in order that we might not fall in the same areas that the children of Israel did. How are we tempted to sin in the same way they were?
2. God’s judgment in the angelic realm.
• Vs. 6 This is not referring to Genesis 6, however I believe it is referring to the fall of Satan and his demons.
• Even in the angelic realm God had assigned the angels to certain estates or domains (that same word is also translated area of responsibility beginning original.
• From the beginning God has assigned areas of responsibility not only to the angels but to families and to the body of Christ.
3. God’s judgment of unrepentant non-believers
• Vs.7 These are people who follow after their own wants and desires; they determine what is right and wrong, what is moral and immoral.
• How do we see this played out today?
• What happened to Sodom and Gomorrah is a foreshadowing of God’s judgment on all who deny God’s truth; the punishment of the eternal fire.
• When we read about God’s judgment what emotions or responses does that stir up within us, His children?
o Fear (reverence)
o Love for Christ