1 Samuel 16 v. 1 - 16
v 7 "But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart."
1. THE SEARCH FOR GOD'S MAN - v. 1 "And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons."
It was a time for:-
(a) Forgetfulness - v. 1 "How long wilt thou mourn for Saul?" i.e. A time to stop mourning
(b) Faithfulness - v. 1 "Fill thine horn with oil, and go" i.e. A time to start moving
(c) Fruitfulness - v. 1 "I have provided me a king " i.e. A time to start marching
(d) Fearlessness - v. 2 "How can I go?" i.e. A time to stop mumbling i.e.
God had given:-
(1) The Mission - v. 1 "I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite"
(2) The Man - v. 1 "A king among his sons"
(3) The Means - v. 2 "Take an heifer with thee"
(4) The Method - v. 3 "Thou shalt anoint unto me him whom I name unto thee."
Psalm 75 v. 6 & 7 "For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. But God is the judge: he putteth down one, and setteth up another."
2. THE SURPRISE AT GOD'S MAN - v. 6 "And it came to pass, when they were come, that he looked on Eliab, and said, Surely the Lord's anointed is before him."
(a) The Problem Here -
Samuel was looking at the wrong person i.e. Eliab not David,
Samuel was looking in the wrong place i.e. v. 7 "But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart." not heart,
Samuel was looking for the wrong physique v. 7 "man looketh on the outward appearance"
(b) The Principle Here - v. 7 "but the Lord looketh on the heart"
(1) The Priority of the Heart - Proverbs 4 v. 23 "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." i.e. physically and spiritually
"Heart is used in Scripture as the most comprehensive term for the authentic person. It is the part of our being where we desire, deliberate, and decide. It has been described as "the place of conscious and decisive spiritual activity," "the comprehensive term for a person as a whole; his feelings, desires, passions, thought, understanding and will," and "the centre of a person. The place to which God turns."
(2) The Potential of the Heart - Jeremiah 17 v. 9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" its deceit, its depravity, desperation
(3) The Purpose of the Heart - Deuteronomy 6 v. 5 "And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might."
(4) The Portrayal of the Heart - v. 7 "The Lord looketh on the heart"
1 Chronicles 29 v. 17 "I know also, my God, that thou triest the heart, and hast pleasure in uprightness. As for me, in the uprightness of mine heart I have willingly offered all these things: and now have I seen with joy thy people, which are present here, to offer willingly unto thee."