Summary: This lesson examines our daily walk with God, and stresses obedience as the key to blessings.
A. God has a path to progress - are we walking that path today?
1. This is the central message of the OT Book
2. 40 years of wandering instead of being in
the Promised land
B. This is a Book that we must pay attention to
1. Rom.15:4 “ For whatsoever things were
written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.”
2. We must learn from the mistakes that they
3. We must understand God’s Path to Progress
for us today
I. WE MUST RELY ON GOD’S PROMISES
A. Clearly the Nation of Israel did not do this.
1. Time after time they refused to trust the
Promises of God
2. Consider what happened in Num.13-14 UNBELIEF
B. Even Moses was guilty of not trusting God
1. He was told to SPEAK to the rock but instead
he STRUCK it - 20:8-12
2. Twice he STRUCK the rock in impatience,
anger & disobedience
3. For this one sin he was forbidden to enter
the Promised Land
4. He refused to trust God and tried to take
matters into His own hands.
Psa.37:5 "Commit thy way unto the Lord; TRUST also in him; & he shall bring it to pass"
C. Will you learn to really TRUST GOD and take Him at His Word?
1. He knows what He is doing, and where we are
2. He is leading us to the Promised Land.
Let’s not hinder that plan and just learn
to walk with Him as He takes us forward by
3. If we don’t we will wander around in the
wilderness of sin, and fell as they did.
II. WE MUST REST IN GOD’S PROVISIONS - Phil.4:19
A. God’s People would not believe it then - or NOW either!
1. Yet He provided Israel with everything they
needed - physically & spiritually
2. Gave them food (11:6-9), meat (11:31-33),
water (20:8) and much more.
3. Yet they never stopped complaining and
grumbling! Chs.11,14, 16-17
4. Grumbling is the easiest thing in the world
to learn! No talent, no self-denial no
brains, no character is required to set up
the grumbling business.
B. Finally God sent venomous snakes to teach them a lesson
1. Many lost their lives and rightly so -
Num.21:4-9 - watch out for the snakes!
2. Lets rest in God’s Provision - He has given
us all things II Pet.1:3
3. Through His death on the cross Jesus has
done what the brazen Snake did.
4. When we look, we shall live. He will heal
us spiritually of Satan’s bite of sin
faith will save us in the way it saved them
III. WE MUST RESPECT GOD’S PRINCIPLES
A. This warning is repeated many times in the OT Lev.10
1. Don’t add or take away from His word Deut.4:2
2. This is what Balaam said, but did he mean
B. Balaam is one of the strangest and most difficult people to understand
1. He said one thing and then did something else.
2. He offered God lip service but not life.
There is a big difference!
3. One of the reasons why Balaam spent so much
time with Balak King of Moab was HIS LUST FOR
4. Balaam kept hoping that God would change His
mind about blessing His People Israel, so
that the wishes of Balak King of Moab could
be fulfilled,for he hated and feared them and
wanted them to be cursed and perish.