Summary: God has a wonderful plan for the husband in the home.
1. Things change over the years don’t they?
· If we’re not carefully investing in our marriage, our homes that were once filled with burning love & passion become cold & crusty houses.
A husband’s reactions to his wife’s colds during seven years of marriage:
First year: "Sugar dumpling; I’m really worried about my baby girl. You’ve got a bad sniffle and there’s no telling about these things with all the strep going around. I’m putting you in the hospital this afternoon for a general checkup and a good rest. I know the food’s lousy, but I’ll be bringing your meals in from the Macaroni Grill.. I’ve already got it all arranged with my boss at work."
Second year: "Listen, darling, I don’t like the sound of that cough and I’ve called Doc Miller to rush over here. Now you go to bed like a good girl, just for Poppa."
Third year: "Maybe you better lie down, honey. Nothing like a little rest when you feel lousy. I’ll bring you something. Have we got any canned soup?"
Fourth year: "Now look, dear, be sensible. After you’ve fed the kids and got the dishes done and the floor finished, you better lie down."
Fifth year: "Why don’t you take a couple of aspirin?"
Sixth year: "I wish you’d just gargle or something instead of sitting around barking like a seal all evening."
Seventh year: "For Pete’s sake, stop sneezing! Are you trying to give me pneumonia?"
2. Marriage is something that REQUIRES constant love & attention.
· It demands flexibility, forgiveness, and fortitude.
3. Unfortunately as I continue to survey the Body of Jesus Christ…
· I’ve come across way too many men, too many husbands who give up the leadership & headship of their homes.
· Many have checked out and either left or surrendered their leadership to an already overloaded wife.
· And as a result, families are out of whack, spiritual things are not addressed, and Satan’s having a field day among Christian families.
NOTE: One of the biggest tragedies in the Christian home is when the husband fails to take the spiritual lead that God commands.
Now there are a few reasons for this…
#1 – Some wives simply refuse to be led. The wife simply refuses to be led by her husband. Maybe she has been leading the home for so long that now that the husband wants to lead it, she likes the lead so much that she won’t cooperate.
· There’s a lack of trust or respect especially if the husband’s past was one of worldliness and rebellion.
#2 – Some husbands don’t know how to lead spiritually. Perhaps they were never taught to lead or didn’t have the right role models.
#3 – Still, some husbands are afraid to fail.
4. But families don’t have to be in disarray, homes don’t have to be divided, marriages don’t have to be dissolved…
a. Husbands… you can LEAD your family by loving your wife.
b. By LEADING your home…
NOW OUR TIME together this morning isn’t meant to be a condemnation of past mistakes.
Romans 8.1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.