Summary: God’s plan for parents and kids is a clear and attainable.
What has gone wrong with America’s Children?
· Did you know that in the US, every 8 seconds of every school day a child drops out of school?
· Every 26 seconds a child runs away from home.
· Every 47 seconds a child is either abused or neglected.
· Every 7 minutes a child is arrested for a drug offense.
· Every 36 minutes a child is either hurt or killed by a gun.
· Could it simply be that America’s Parents haven’t read the Bible and haven’t taught their kids to obey & honor?
Our focus this morning by the Holy Spirit is caring for our kids…
· With all of the books & seminars, packets & pamphlets on raising kids… the Holy Spirit uses just 4 verses to lead us & teach us.
Maybe you’re not a parent this morning… well you’re still a kid.
· You’re a child of God, our faithful Heavenly Father.
· And as His children, we have the joy of relating to a father that never leaves us, never hurts us, and never gives up on us.
NOW Parents we have an awesome PRIVILEGE…
It was BILLY GRAHAM who said: Children will invariably talk, eat, walk, think, respond, and act like their parents. Give them a target to shoot at. Give them a goal to work toward. Give them a pattern that they can see clearly, and you give them something that gold and silver cannot buy.
· IN our care are given the moldable, changeable, & unpredictable little persons who grow up so quickly!
YES… there are times, those difficult times when you might want to parent the way Mark Twain suggested:
When a kid turns thirteen, stick him in a barrel, nail the lid on top, and feed him through the knot hole. When he turns sixteen -- plug up the knot hole. But not even that plan will work. Neither you nor I have ever seen a teenager who could get enough food to survive through the knot hole of a barrel!
· We feed them, clothe them, house them…the PRACTICAL side.
· That’s the PRACTICAL SIDE… BUT MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY…
· We feed them God’s Word, clothe them with prayers, and house them in a spiritual, God-honoring home…
Proverbs 22.6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.
Dorothy Law Nolte once wrote down these thoughts…
If a child lives with criticism, He learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility, He learns to fight.
If a child lives with ridicule, He learns to be shy.
If a child lives with shame, He learns to feel guilty.
If a child lives with tolerance, He learns to be patient.
If a child lives with encouragement, He learns confidence.
If a child lives with praise, He learns to appreciate.
If a child lives with fairness, He learns justice.
If a child lives with security, He learns to have faith.
If a child lives with approval, He learns to like himself.
If a child lives with acceptance and friendship,
He learns to find love in the world.
So our attention is turned toward children and parenting…
Q: What voice are you obeying as a parent? Is it pop psychology? Is it the latest videotape series? Is it nothing at all? Are you flying by in life by the seat of your pants?
· There is a Book out there that will help you parent.