Summary: God's Presence
Exodus 33:12-23 God's Presence
1) The Problem For Moses - 32:35 And the LORD plagued the people, because they made the calf, which Aaron made.
a) The Rebuke For Sin - 3 for I will not go up in the midst of thee; for thou art a stiffnecked people: lest I consume thee in the way.
b) The Recognition Of Sin - 4 And when the people heard these evil tidings, they mourned: and no man did put on him his ornaments.
c) The Repentance Of Sin - 6 And the children of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments by the mount Horeb.
2) The Pressure On Moses -
a) The Moving Of God's Place - 7 And Moses took the tabernacle, and pitched it without the camp, afar off from the camp,
b) The Meeting In God's Presence - 9 And it came to pass, as Moses entered into the tabernacle, the cloudy pillar descended, and stood at the door of the tabernacle, and the LORD talked with Moses.
c) The Mustering Of God's Presence 13 Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people.
3) The Prayer of Moses - 33:12-17
1. The Seeking of God's Path 13 shew me now thy way,
God's Will Is Possible ie. Moses prayed for It. Shew Me
God's Will Is Personal Shew Me
God's Will Is Present shew me now
God's Will Is Pre-eminent thy way
God's Will Is Profitable that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight:
ie. Personally, Nationally, Eternally.
2. The Securing of God's Presence 12 And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight.
a) The Departure Of God's Presence 2 And I will send an angel before thee;
b) The Desire For God's Presence 12 and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me.
c) The Demonstration Of God's Presence 14 And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.
d) The Devotion To God's Presence 15 And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence.
Moses wanted God to go with him. In fact if God did not go with them, Moses did not want to continue the journey This shows the great priority Moses put on the presence of God, a priority seldom seen in any age.
3. The Seeing of God's Person 18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.
a) The Passion for God's glory. "I beseech thee, show me thy glory"
Some request the material,
Some request the physical;
How Few request the spiritual.
Philippians 2:21 For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ’s.
b) The Plan for God's glory. 19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.
1. God's glory would be revealed in His Goodness, And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee
2. God's glory would be revealed in His Greatness, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; Exodus 3:14: "I am that I am."