Summary: God glorifies Himself by discrediting His detractors and vindicating His character by what He does.
God’s Purpose in the Plagues: To Glorify Himself
view video clip from The Exodus Revealed
1. Since our video-clips contain a number of related segments, we have to view some of these before we get to the texts that address them.
2. Eventually, we will get the children of Israel to the Red Sea. But we are not there yet.
3. We began our series in Canaan, when the children of Jacob, whose name was changed to Israel, moved to Egypt during a famine. We examined the life of Joseph.
4. Thing deteriorated for the Israelites, and they eventually became slaves to the Egyptians. The Israelites sojourned in Egypt for over 400 years.
5. But God had His hand on His people. Moses, an infant Hebrew, was rescued from death by an Egyptian princess and raised as her son.
6. Through a variety of circumstances, he came to identify with the Hebrews and had to flee Egypt for the land of Midian, modern day Saudi Arabia.
7. One day, God appeared to Moses in the form of a burning bush and commanded Moses to return to Egypt to bring his people to freedom and return them to Canaan.
8. But the Pharaoh would not let the people go, hence God sent a series of plagues over a nine month period to persuade the hard-hearted Pharaoh to let the Hebrews go.
9. We are in the midst of the plagues, as we look at plagues 6 and 7.
10. The plagues reveal many things, but their most impressive theme is “God’s Glory.”
11. "A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling ’darkness’ on the wall of his cell..." C. S. Lewis
Main idea: God glorifies Himself by discrediting His detractors and vindicating His character by what He does.
I. The Sixth Plague: Boils on MAN and BEAST (9:8-9:12)
A. Dust taken from Hebrew BRICK kilns
B. Painful BOILS
This insulted Sekmet, a healing goddess (also goddess of war)
Deut.28:27 The LORD will strike you with the boils of Egypt, and with tumors and scabs and itch, of which you cannot be healed.
C. The MAGICIANS are humiliated
These Magicians were probably also priests….
(1) God was humiliating the supposed gods of Egypt
(2) God was humiliating the religious leaders of these false gods
(3) God was humiliating Pharaoh, a supposed son of the gods and a god himself
D. Pharaoh typifies the lost man whose authorities are DISCREDITED
(1) modern day example: Marxists after the dissolution of the Soviet Union
(2) when the supposed facts of The Da Vinci Code are discredited, adherents still cling to them
(3) most people believe what they want to believe
Note here that, “But the LORD hardened Pharaoh’s heart.” (12)…Man’s responsibility and God’s sovereignty…at first, the Pharaoh hardened his own heart…
God glorifies Himself by discrediting His detractors and vindicating His character by what He does.
II. The Seventh Plague: HAIL (9:13-35)
* from the harvest schedule of vs. 31, we know this plague hit in early February; this would begin 8 weeks of misery for Egypt and the Pharaoh; This first 6 plagues are like the first part of the Tribulation while the last 4 are like the Great Tribulation, the latter half; the drowning of Pharaoh’s army is much like Armageddon in its pattern…