Summary: The only remedy for sin is the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. Lehman Strauss said, "There is a scarlet cord that moves throughout the Bible, that binds every page, every word, every line, every chapter and scarlet cord ends at Calvary."
GOD’S REMEDY FOR SIN
A. At the world’s fair in Chicago there was a Congress on the World’s Religions. One by one each representative stood and expounded the virtues of their religion. Finally Joseph Cook, the representative of Christianity stood to speak and everyone wondered what he would say that could match the wonderful teachings of the other religions.
When he stood, Cook brought a pointed message on sin and its effect. When he concluded he asked a question, “Do any of you have a remedy for sin?” All were silent. Then Cook said, “Christianity has the remedy for sin, “the blood of Jesus Christ his Son, cleanseth us from all sin.”
B. Lehman Strauss said, “There is a scarlet cord that moves throughout the Bible, that binds every page, every word, every line, every chapter and that scarlet cord ends at Calvary.”
C. There is remedy for our sin and all sin and it is the blood of Jesus Christ.
I. THE BLOOD CLEANSES FROM SIN’S PAST
A. Whatever sin a person has committed in the past the blood of Jesus can cleanse it.
1. People want to reform; change way of living, turn over a new leaf, but the problem is their past record. Still have to deal with their past.
2. Our sins must be erased with the blood of Jesus. There are many promises in the Bible:
3. “I have blotted out, like a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, like a cloud, thy sins;” (Isa 44:22)
4. “As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.” (Psa 103:12)
5. “And thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.” (Mic 7:19)
6. “I, even I, am He who blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.” (Isa 43:25)
7. “For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.” (Heb 8:12)
B. No matter what you have done the blood Jesus cleanses us from all past sins.
II. THE BLOOD CLEANSES FROM SINS PRESENT
A. The blood of Jesus cleanses from sin after we have been saved.
1. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 Jno 1:9)
2. The Christian life is a battle and the only victory we have is claiming the blood of Jesus for cleansing.
3. The blood of Jesus not only cleanses a person when he is saved, but it cleanses daily.
III. THE BLOOD CLEANSES FROM SINS POSSIBLE
A. Any sin that you would or could ever possibly commit the blood of Jesus will cleanse.
B. There are many excuses a person could give for not being saved and living the Christian life:
1. “There are too many hypocrites in the church.”
a. Jesus said there would always be hypocrites.
b. We don’t let the hypocrites keep us from other things.
c. There are more honest Christians than hypocrites.
2. “I’m doing the best I can, isn’t that enough?” “No”! “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us,” (Titus 3:5)
3. “I am afraid I can’t live it.”
a. This is said by many sincere people who fear they can’t live the Christian life.
b. Afraid after salvation will commit some great sin that will doom them forever.
4. The blood of Jesus was shed to cover and to cleanse every possible sin you will ever commit.
IV. THE BLOOD CLEANSES FROM SINS PENALTY
A. What is the penalty of sin?
1. “For the wages of sin is death,” (Rom 6:23)
2. “Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin; and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.” (James 1:15)
3. “The soul that sinneth, it shall die.” (Ezek 18:20)
4. “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin, and so death passed upon all men, for all have sinned.” (Romans 5:12)
B. Jesus paid your sin debt with His own blood.