Summary: The greatness of God’s grace encourages us to live a godly life.
God’s Super-Abundant Grace
The Importance of CONTEXT and GRAMMAR
Romans 5:12-21. The Righteousness of God defended
God’s DECISION is fair that declares men righteous
God’s METHOD is fair in doing this on the basis of Christ’s work
ADAM: (the source of our sinful condition)
CHRIST: (the remedy for our sinful condition)
Romans 5:20-21. Conclusion to Justification..... God’s GRACE
Romans 3:21 “Righteousness from God apart from the Law”
From: Our FAILURE to keep the Law (Romans 3:21)
To: God’s PURPOSE in giving the Law (Romans 5:20-21)
I. God’s Grace is Great Because Our Sin is Great
1. “The Law was added so that the trespass might increase”
2. “Was added” = “came along side, slip in, come in as a side issue, of the law, which has no primary place in the Divine Plan” (BAGD)
3. Sin existed BEFORE the LAW (Romans 5:13)
4. The LAW reveals the fact that we are indeed, SINNERS
a. (Romans 7:7) "What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “Do not covet.”"
b. (1 Timothy 1:9) "We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,"
5. Illus - the LAW is a MAGNIFYING GLASS
1. Our problem is that we are BORN SINNERS
a. Some don’t believe it
b. Some don’t care
c. Some don’t think that it matters
d. Some think humanity is getting better and better
e. We are getting WORSE!!
2. The UNSAVED are not usually convicted with the GENERAL argument of their sinfulness.
3. But all of us know that WE HAVE SINNED
4. Do you think that a holy God will just fuggedaboudit?
II. God’s Grace is Great Because It Surpasses Our Sin
A. Explanation: “Where sin increased, grace increased all the more”
1. A Change in the words used. (1 word in English, 2 words in Greek)
a. “increase” (1st 2 times in Romans 5:20)
c. STRONG word. Great abundance!
d. “have more than is necessary, have too much” (BAGD)
2. A Powerful word -
b. “to be more than enough, be left over” (Luke 9:17) "They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over."
c. “To be extremely rich or abundant, to overflow” (2 Cor 9:12) "This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God."
3. A Powerful Superlative -
b. “quite beyond all measure (highest form of comparison imaginable)” def for ὑðåñåêðåñéóóï (BAGD)
c. Huper = hyper!
d. A “Hyper active” child!!
e. Used only 5x in New Testament. (Ephesians 3:20) "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,"
B. APPLICATION. NOTHING you have done is beyond the power of God’s Grace!
1. Regardless of HOW MANY sins you have committed
2. Regardless of HOW GREAT they may have been
3. Regardless of HOW LONG you have resisted Him
4. Regardless of HOW OFTEN you have sinned against Him
5. HIS GRACE IS GREATER!
6. “There is no pit so deep that the love of God is not deeper still” (Corrie Ten Boom, quoted by Pastor Brian Bill, 10/29/06)
7. Marvelous Grace of our Loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt
Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured
There where the blood of the lamb was spilled
Grace, grace, God’s grace, Grace that will pardon and cleanse within Grace, Grace, infinite grace
Grace that is greater than all our sins Julia Johnston
8. Phillips Craig And Dean - “He’ll Do Whatever It Takes”
You don’t know just how far away from home I’ve been
She said, as she looked into my eyes
Could it be I’ve strayed beyond Mercy’s outstretched hand?
And now His grace no longer stoops To hear my cry
You see, I just wanna know Tell me how far will He go?
Will He still reach for me inspite of where I’ve been?
He’ll do whatever, whatever it takes
His grace reaches lower than your worst mistakes
And His love will run farther Than you can run away,
He’ll do whatever it takes
I’ve heard His love is patient, that He always hears a prayer
And that His love will follow you despite the miles
My best years of life I wasted. Why would He even really care?
What have I to give that He would find worthwhile?