Summary: God loves weak, wicked and wayward people just like you...and just like me.
God’s Timing is Perfect
Rev. Brian Bill
I love the honest answers kids give when they’re asked questions. Listen to these responses to the topic of love.
When asked why love happens between two people…
• “One of the people has freckles and so he finds somebody else who has freckles too.”
• “No one is sure why it happens, but I heard it has something to do with how you smell…That’s why perfume and deodorant are so popular.”
• “If you want to be loved by somebody who isn’t already in your family, it doesn’t hurt to be beautiful.”
When asked how to get someone to love you…
• “Tell them that you own a whole bunch of candy stores.”
• “Don’t do things like have smelly, green sneakers. You might get attention, but attention ain’t the same thing as love.”
This past Wednesday I taught the older boys in AWANA. In the midst of their squirming and punching and talking, I realized that I was just like they are when I was their age…if not worse. The only difference is that I wasn’t as deep as they are. Our topic was the importance of loving those who are near us and loving those who are difficult to be around. We all agreed that the toughest thing in the world is to love our sisters! Tune in to their responses when I asked them to tell me what they think about God’s love…
• “It’s a blessing.”
• “It’s everlasting.”
• “God loves sinners and believers.”
• “God loves aliens, if there are any.”
• “God’s love is not ordinary because He loves everybody.”
• And one boy responded with tears in his eyes: “You just can’t explain it.”
It is tough to explain God’s love, isn’t it? I have a renewed appreciation for those of you who serve in AWANA, in Sunday School, or in Promised Land. Bless you! Your ministry matters!
Last week we were reminded that we’ve all been enrolled in the school of suffering and are required to take four core classes: Reasons to Rejoice 101, Patient Perseverance 201, Christian Character 301 and Holy Spirit Hope 401. Because of the response to that message we have additional manuscripts and tapes available at the Resource Center and as always, all of our sermons are available in audio and text format at www.pontiacbible.org. You may want to give this sermon to someone you know who is suffering right now.
We pointed out that when we’re going through tough times, it’s easy to wonder if God really loves us. Romans 5:5 gives us an anchor to hold on to: “…God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.” God’s love “has been poured out like a river and is continually being poured out moment-by-moment.” This morning we’re going to ponder the truths of Romans 5:6-8. This is one of the clearest passages in all of Scripture about God’s love for losers like us: “You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While were still sinners, Christ died for us.”