Summary: We can celebrate God’s unfailing love for us. In Psalm 107 we can see four pictures the Psalmist paints for us that display God’s unfailing love!
• SLIDE #1
• November is the month of Thanksgiving. In a few weeks we will celebrate Thanksgiving with family, friends, and football!
• We are going to spend the month of November looking at some areas in which God touches our lives that should give us reason to celebrate!
• There are so many things we can celebrate for but many times we forget to celebrate things we take for granted.
• I want us to take some time today to look at the gift of God’s unfailing love.
• There are so many things we cannot count on in this ever-changing world, but one thing we can count on is God’s UNFAILING LOVE for us.
• As usual you will need your bible with you so you can follow along because we are going to cover a lot of verses today.
• Psalm 107 celebrates Israel’s return from exile in foreign lands.
• By way of introduction I want to share verse 1-3.
• SLIDE #2
• Psalm 107:1–3 (ESV) Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! 2 Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble 3 and gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south.
• The Psalm starts with a grateful acknowledgment of God’s unfailing steadfast love for His people.
• The world we live in is full of love but many times that love is conditional whereas God’s love is unconditional.
• Love in this world lasts for a season, God’s love endures forever! We see this spelled out for us in the New Testament also.
• SLIDE #3
• Romans 8:35 (ESV) 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?
• The awesome thing about Psalm 107 that we will examine this morning is that it shows us four pictures that illustrate to us that God’s love is unfailing!
• They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so let us take some time to look at the four beautiful pictures the Psalmist paints for us.
• The first of our four pictures is found in verses 4-9.
• SLIDE #4
• Psalm 107:4–9 (ESV) 4 Some wandered in desert wastes, finding no way to a city to dwell in; 5 hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted within them. 6 Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. 7 He led them by a straight way till they reached a city to dwell in. 8 Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! 9 For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.
• SLIDE #5
God’s love is unfailing because…
I. God’s love does not fail to replenish us.
• This part of the Psalm paints the picture of people who are wandering in the desert; they are lost and looking for a home.
• In the quest, they were on the verge of perishing.
• An interesting point we all need to grasp as we look at this Psalm is that the Psalmist was speaking of specific events, but we can take those unknown to us events and apply the principles taught concerning them into our time and life. We can see a spiritual application as well as the time specific application from the Psalmist.
• Even though to my understanding we are not certain of the events the Psalmist is speaking of, we can see some wonderful applications for our life today.
• As the Israelites were wandering seeking a home, God replenished them, in other words He provided for their needs.
• God does this for us today. As we are wandering around looking for our real home, God does not let us just die in the desert.
• God looks after us, He cares for us, He provides for us.
• SLIDE #6
• Matthew 5:44–45 (ESV) 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
• Why would God provide for those who not His? Who may NEVER decide to be His? There are a couple of reasons. One is He has an unconditional, unfailing love. The second reason is found in 1 Timothy 2:4
• SLIDE #7
• 1 Timothy 2:4 (ESV) 4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.