Summary: This passage shows us how we can be sure God's Word can be trusted
BACK TO BASICS #2
Adapted from a message by Phil Martin
January 22nd, 2017
Solid Rock Baptist Church
Rev Dan Bauder
This morning we have come to the second message in our “Back to Basics” series. Last time we learned what it means to be a Christian. If you are a Christian, you can know beyond any shadow of doubt:
1. You have been predestined by God. Eph 1:4-6 says, “just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.
2. Once you come to Jesus you can never be lost. John 10:27-29 says, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.”
3. Suffering is part of the game plan. John 15:20 says, “Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you.” Today God wants us to know without doubt the Bible is the Word of God. (Read 2 Timothy 3:16-17) Lets take a closer look at these verses
I. ALL SCRPTURE IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD (begin reading verse 16)
A. Right now my diaphragm is forcing my breath up through my throat and over my larynx and the voice box and my tongue and my teeth and my lips are taking the breath and making sounds and noises out of that breath and what you're hearing right now is what I am breathing out. I'm breathing out these words. That’s what inspiration means. When the Bible speaks God speaks.
II. ALL SCRIPTURE IS PROFITABLE (continue reading verse 16)
A. For Doctrine. What is doctrine? Actually the word doctrine means teaching. God’s Word teaches you the proper way to live.
B. For reproof. Websters dictionary defines reproof as, “ a statement that criticizes or blames someone.”
1. For centuries Israel failed to understand the true purpose of God’s Law. They believed a right relationship with God was determined by how well you kept the Law. In Galatians 3:21-24 Paul had this to say about the law. “Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor (King James says, “schoolmaster”) to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
C. For instruction in righteousness
1. Without the Scriptures we would have no idea what righteousness is all about.
Verse 17 sums up why God has given us His Word. (Read verse 17) Without it we would be lost.