Summary: The Joy of Christmas
GOOD NEWS OF GREAT JOY
Introduction: A BIBLICAL VIEW OF JOY
people who need no repentance."
I. THE BIRTH OF THE BABY. (vv. 1-20)
A. The Decree of the king. (vv. 1-4)
1. The Ruler = Caesar Augustus = Octavian
* Established "PAX ROMANA" - 30 BC to 15 AD
* During the Roman Peace, God sent the Prince of Peace
* God works in spite of human rulers.
2. The Registration = Census
* Quirinius was governing Syria, 8-6 BC.
* Herod the Great required the Jews to register in their ancestral home instead of their
* "Bethlehem" = "House of bread"; birth place of the "Bread of Life"
3. The Relationship of Joseph to David.
B. The Delivery of the baby. (vv. 5-7)
* "Pledged to be married"
* "Expecting a child"
* "Firstborn" (v. 7) = inheritance
* "Savior" (v. 11) = redemption
* "Christ" (v. 11) = Messiah
* "Lord" (v 11) = authority
C. The Declaration of the angels. (vv. 8-14)
1. The multitude (all of them) of angels. (v.13)
* "Host" = army, proclaiming peace
2. The message delivered by the angels.
* "Don’t be afraid"
* "Good news"
* "for all people"
* "a Savior has been born"
* "on earth peace to men"
D. The Discovery of the Shepherds. (vv. 15-20)
* Shepherds were despised.
* Shepherds were considered unclean.
* Shepherds were considered so unreliable that they were not allowed to testify in court.
* "Manger" = feeding trough in a cave.
* All sacrificial flocks were raised in Bethlehem.
* JESUS was born where all sacrificial lambs were born, & JESUS died were all sacrificial lambs died.
* How fitting that Shepherds would be the first visitors to the one known as the:
II. THE CONSECRATION OF THE CHILD. (vv. 21-38)
A. JESUS fulfilled the Law of Moses. (vv. 21-24)
1. His circumcision (v. 21)
* He was officially named JESUS as the angel had instructed.
2. His consecration (vv. 22-24)
* "the time" - 41 days after His birth.
B. JESUS fulfilled the longing of Simeon & Anna (vv. 25-38)
1. Simeon: (vv. 25-35)
* His character.
+ He was righteous & devout.