Summary: The Joy of Christmas
GOOD NEWS OF GREAT JOY
Introduction: A BIBLICAL VIEW OF JOY
A. Psalm 16:11 - "In Your presence is fullness of JOY..."
B. Psalm 51:12 - "Restore to me the JOY of your salvation"
C. Jeremiah 15:16 - "Your Words ..were my JOY and my heart’s delight"
D. Luke 15:7 - "There is more JOY in heaven over one sinner that repents, than over 99 just
people who need no repentance."
E. Romans 15:13 - " May the God of hope fill you with all JOY and peace as you trust in
F. I Peter 1:8 - "You believe in Him and are filled with inexpressible and glorious JOY"
I. THE BIRTH OF THE BABY. (vv. 1-20)
A. The Decree of the king. (vv. 1-4)
1. The Ruler = Caesar Augustus = Octavian
* Established "PAX ROMANA" - 30 BC to 15 AD
* Galatians 4:6 - "In the fullness of time..";
* During the Roman Peace, God sent the Prince of Peace
* God works in spite of human rulers.
2. The Registration = Census
* Quirinius was governing Syria, 8-6 BC.
* Herod the Great required the Jews to register in their ancestral home instead of their
* "Bethlehem" = "House of bread"; birth place of the "Bread of Life"
3. The Relationship of Joseph to David.
* Jeremiah 33:14-17 - "..David will never fail to have a man to sit on the throne.."
B. The Delivery of the baby. (vv. 5-7)
* "Pledged to be married"
* "Expecting a child"
* Isaiah 7:14 - "The virgin will be with child...will call Him Immanuel.
* "Firstborn" (v. 7) = inheritance
* "Savior" (v. 11) = redemption
* "Christ" (v. 11) = Messiah
* "Lord" (v 11) = authority
C. The Declaration of the angels. (vv. 8-14)
1. The multitude (all of them) of angels. (v.13)
* Revelation 5:11 - 10,000 was highest number for that time.
* "Host" = army, proclaiming peace
2. The message delivered by the angels.
* "Don’t be afraid"
* "Good news"
* "for all people"
* "a Savior has been born"
* "on earth peace to men"
D. The Discovery of the Shepherds. (vv. 15-20)
* Shepherds were despised.
* Shepherds were considered unclean.
* Shepherds were considered so unreliable that they were not allowed to testify in court.
* "Manger" = feeding trough in a cave.
* All sacrificial flocks were raised in Bethlehem.
* JESUS was born where all sacrificial lambs were born, & JESUS died were all sacrificial lambs died.
* How fitting that Shepherds would be the first visitors to the one known as the:
+ "GOOD SHEPHERD" (John 10:11)
+ "GREAT SHEPHERD" (Hebrews 13:20), &
+ "CHIEF SHEPHERD" (I Peter 5:4)
II. THE CONSECRATION OF THE CHILD. (vv. 21-38)
A. JESUS fulfilled the Law of Moses. (vv. 21-24)
1. His circumcision (v. 21)
* "On the eighth day as prescribed by Jewish Law. (Leviticus 12:3)
* Circumcision was the sign of God covenant with Abraham. (Genesis 17)
* He was officially named JESUS as the angel had instructed.
2. His consecration (vv. 22-24)
* "the time" - 41 days after His birth.
* their sacrifice, "a pair of doves", was an indication of their poverty. (Leviticus 12:8)
B. JESUS fulfilled the longing of Simeon & Anna (vv. 25-38)
1. Simeon: (vv. 25-35)
* His character.
+ He was righteous & devout.
+ "The Holy Spirit was upon him."
* His confidence.
+ He was waiting for the "consolation of Israel" - the hope of the Messiah
+ "It had been revealed to him..."
+ He was "moved by the Spirit..."
* His chorus. 4 themes:
+ Sovereignty -God is well able to keep His promises
+ Salvation - Prepared for ALL people
+ Sign - The virgin birth is a sign of God’s promises to Israel.
+ Suffering - A prophesy of Mary’s anguish at JESUS’ crucifixion.
2. Anna. (vv.36-38)
* Her designation
+ Her name means "Grace"
+ a "prophetess" + "very old" + a "widow"
* Her dedication
+ She never left the Temple
+ She worshiped night & day.
+ She fasted & prayed.
* Her declaration
+ She gave thanks.
+ She declared JESUS as the redeemer
III. THE YEARNING OF THE YOUTH. (vv. 39-52)
"I must be about My Father’s business"
A. The business of JESUS was rooted in His spiritual development. (vv. 39-40)
B. The business of JESUS was revealed in His unusual discussions in the Temple. (vv. 41-50)
C. The business of JESUS was reflected in His own personal dedication. (vv. 51-52)