Summary: How to stand against the devil
TITLE: “Gospel Shoes of Peace"
INTRO: Tell a lot about a person by the shoes he wears
- Your shoes are making a statement about you.
- Cowboy boots - you’re saying you’re macho, mountain man
- Wingtip shoes - Accountant, Engineer
- Tassels - cool & hip
- Sandals - California
- No shoes - from southern California
SERIES: How to Dress for Success (Learning how to dress, spiritually speaking)
TEXT: Ephesians 6:15
REVIEW: Paul is under house arrest in Rome, chained to a Roman soldier and he is writing
this letter & describing the armor & giving an analogy of our spiritual armor that the
Lord provides us with.
-Romans were experts in warfare; they covered the world (mainly through hand to hand
-Soldiers knew a slip in close quarters meant certain doom.
-Roman military scientist came up with a helpful idea so their soldiers would not
-(Shoe like boot with very thick souls, put spikes or nails into souls protruding
downward) acted like cleats in football or baseball, give you better traction.
REMEMBER: Belt of Truth - respond to the Word of God.
Breastplate of Righteousness - Jesus Christ righteousness
Today - Talk about Gospel shoes of Peace
- Anybody that has been in hand to hand knows the importance of having sure footing.
Ex...Professional boxers put resin on the shoes so they don’t slip in the ring.
TS: What is this peace Paul is talking about (this Gospel of Peace) Talk 3 aspects of Peace…
I. Peace with God
A. War with God - before we became Christians the Bible says we were at war with Him. We were enemies of God.
1. Thought Satan at war with God - right, but he led mankind into rebellion against God (Garden of Eden or mankind has been in rebellion ever since).
-Romans 1:18 "The wrath of God is being revealed from Heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness".
B. Words: Godlessness - implies a lack of reverence (respect) for God. Wickedness - implies injustice towards fellow men.
Suppress the truth - whenever truth starts to exert itself it makes them feel
uneasy so they hold it down (suppress it) by argument or denial.
Ex. Counseling people (truth, argument & denial)
-Because they are trying to suppress the truth from within
- The first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem.
C. Good news - Romans 5:10-11 (read)
- Son dying on the cross - (reason why we can have peace with God.)
1. Last week - Doctrine of justification (being right, declared righteous)
This week - Doctrine of reconciliation
Romans 5:1 "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ".
D. 3 pieces armor GK verb form is in the middle voice meaning we believe and God acts.
- We believe & God belts us up.
- We believe & God puts on the breastplate of righteousness.
- We believe & God puts shoes of peace on us.
E. Benefits of having peace with God
1. He will extend His peace to flood over our lives - our mind & hearts will be bathed in His peace & it won’t matter what circumstances we are in.