Summary: Message examining the blessing Paul speaks to the church at Corinth.
Grace, Love, and Fellowship of the Spirit
- Sometimes, each of us needs a little something in our lives to hold onto; a promise from God
- Every day, we are faced with difficult issues in life that challenge or stretch us to be different
- Tonight, let’s look at another verse of scripture devoted to changing us from the inside – out
-- App: God is more interested in our heart condition than in our “stuff”; it’s all His anyways!
- Because of this, we are called to change and be different (Rom 12:2); called to transform
- Paul gave us great insight here in just one simple verse; he gave us encouragement to live!
2 Corinthians 13:14: May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
Point 1 – Grace
- The grace of God is what sustains us; it gives us purpose and allows us to be changed
- Because of the sacrifice of the cross, we have grace that is only given by God
- Often times, man will try to manufacture this grace into something from us (Expound)
- This type of grace always fails because it is based on man’s standards, and not God’s
-- And I know “God is able to make all grace abound [in me], so that in all things at all times, having all that [I] need, [I] will abound in every good work” (2 Corinthians 9:8).
-- God will use you to work for Him if you allow it … but we have to choose to let Him in
- When the Grace of God is upon us, we are changed forever because we are different
- God’s grace is what we need; it is what the world needs; and what we are called to spread
-- 2 Tim 2:2 – Putting the Gospel in the hands of faithful men … it is the calling of the church
Point 2 – Love
- The love of God is demonstrated through the work of the cross; and the faithfulness of believers
- Consider when you were first loved by the Lord: How did you feel? How did it change you?
-- Can you give that same love to someone else who desperately needs it?
-- Would you show the love of God to a soul that is going to hell forever? Why not?
- App: God’s love came looking for you … so you need to take the love looking for others
- Because you were saved for His purpose, others need to be saved as well
-- It is not the preacher’s job to win souls, but the believer’s job! It is “sharing the love” …
-- The love of God is explained to each believer by a believer; are you sharing it?
- If your funeral was today, would the preacher be able to say that you lived to share?
- When Paul says that he wishes the love of God to be with us, it has to be put there first!
Point 3 – Fellowship of the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit is placed within us for one simple purpose: TO LIVE!
- John writes: He will make my joy complete because I no longer live in darkness, but I now live in the truth and have fellowship with God (1 John 1:4).
- Examine: What are you living by? What is leading you today to strive forward for?
- Each of us that has trusted our life to Christ has to live with the fellowship of the Holy Spirit
-- Wherever we go, whatever we do, whoever we talk too: the Spirit is right there with you
-- App: In the good times and the bad, the Spirit of God does, or will, hold you accountable
- Paul’s statement seems benign, doesn’t it? It seems so calm and gentle … but, Paul was anything but that here! He was straight to the point, speaking final warnings to all!!
- This blessing as some may call it also comes with a price; a price of knowing who you serve and who you live for; and if we are not living that way then the blessing means nothing to us
- More on leadership of the Holy Spirit on Sunday
- Consider your own life according to this blessing – do you have the Spirit within you?
- Does everything about your life radiate this blessing? If not, it’s time to change: now.