Summary: This message discusses "No Lordship Salvation". Is it possible to accept Jesus as Savior and deny Him as Lord and still enter into the kingdom?
The other day I heard someone quoting John 13:34, then he said, "grace trumps obedience." He said grace trumps obedience, because Jesus gave us a new commandment and that commandment is to love one another." The only thing Jesus told us to do is love one another (do nice things for each other) and not that other stuff" (obedience).
I've heard others say, "Paul gave us a new revelation on law and grace, we are not under law but under grace and if anyone preaches against sin they are in error."
I didn't know where this line of teaching came from until I read John MacArthur's book "Faith Works the Gospel According to the Apostles"…you should pick up a copy for yourself ASAP.
In the book John points out something called no-lordship salvation. No lordship salvation promotes the belief or theology that one can accept Jesus as Savior but not Lord. All you have to do is believe in Jesus to accept him as your Savior.One simply accepts the facts or principles of the gospel about Jesus Christ. You simply believe what is written about his life, death, and resurrection and your saved. You are not required to submit or surrender to his Lordship.
MacArthur quotes Charles Ryrie author of So Great Salvation by saying the following about No Lordship Salvation:
• The news that Christ died for our sins and rose from the dead is the complete gospel. Nothing else must be believed for Salvation.
• Submission is not in any sense a condition for eternal life. "Calling on the Lord" means appealing to Him not submitting to Him.
• Christians may fall into a state of lifelong carnality. A whole category of "carnal Christians" born again people who continuously live like the unsaved-exists in the church.(1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
• It is possible to experience a moment of faith that guarantees heaven for eternity, then to turn away and live a life that is utterly barren of any spiritual fruit. (John 15:16)
• Disobedience and prolonged sin are not reasons to doubt the reality of one's faith.
We know the above information is not true because James said even demons believe in the facts about Jesus (James 2:19). But they have no desire to submit to him so to believe in no-lordship salvation is to believe as demons believe. If you believe as demons believe and do what demons do, you one must be prepared to receive the same punishment demons will receive. For sin originated Satan and his demons. Some people will be given direct orders to join Satan and his angels in hell because they failed to walk/live in truth (Matthew 25:41). God's word is truth.
Obedience is an Important Part of Salvation
A rich man once asked Jesus what he needed to do to to have eternal life. And guess what Jesus said …He said Keep the Commandments! Matthew 19:17. Let's read the text: And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.