Summary: There is a progression of how we see and know God. He is A God (creator, etc.); then he becomes THE God (of others, Abraham, etc.); then he is MY God (personal relationship); finally he is OUR God (a community of believers).
1. HS Grads:
• You have been in school now for 2160 days.
• You have spent 12,960 hours in classes.
• That translates into 777,600 minutes.
• So far you’ve lived approximately 18 years.
• You’ve been around 216 months.
• You have been breathing 936 weeks.
• You’ve slept 52,500 hours.
• You’ve watched T.V. 12,173 hours.
• You’ve spent 7,488 hours eating. (Mostly pizza!)
If You live the average life span of 70 years, or as the
Bible says 3 score and 10, You’ll...
• SLEEP ................24 YEARS
• WORK ................14 YEARS
• PLAY ...................8 YEARS
• EAT .....................6 YEARS
• DRIVE .................5 YEARS
• TALK ........................4 YEARS
• GO TO SCHOOL.......3 YEARS
• SICK ..........................3 YEARS
• STUDY & READ.......3 YEARS
• YOU WERE BORN WRINKLED, BALD, TOOTHLESS, COULDN’T HARDLY SEE, CRYING, COMPLAINING, AND HAD NO CLOTHES ON.
Well, you’ve come a long way! You’ve reached a milestone. But this is not the end…it’s really just the beginning! You’ve come to the end of a big episode, but just before the credits roll, across the screen flashes the words: “To be continued!”
2. Your life journey will be an adventure if you walk with God.
3. 2 Timothy 3.14-17
14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it 15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
I. A God
In his book on Albert Einstein, author Walter Isaacson told of a dinner party in Berlin where everybody assumed Einstein was an atheist and he said, “No, I have a deep feeling of faith, a deep religiosity that comes from my appreciation of the way the Lord made the universe;” and everybody was stunned.
He said he was like a child walking into a library, and you see the books and you know somebody must have written them, and you see them ordered and you know somebody must have ordered them, and there’s a sense of awe that’s manifest in that, where you kind of understand that there’s an order underlying everything and the more you appreciate it, the more humble you become in the fact of it…
Isaacson continued: “In some ways, (Einstein’s) belief in God, that God had created an orderly universe, informed his science. He believed that underlying everything, there are laws.”
The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Psalm 19.1
Christ’s relationship to the Universe – As God
For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. Colossians 1:16-17