Summary: Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea and they went into the Desert of Shur. For three days they traveled in the desert without finding water.
Pastor Dave Martin ~ Cross Creek Community Church ~ May 15, 2005
Great Blessing brings Great Testing!
Many Examples is seen in God’s Word...
· Jesus’ Baptism > Tested in the wilderness (Mt 4)
· David conquered enemies > Fell to Bathsheba (2Sam 8 & 11)
· Elijah calls down fire > Terrified of Jezebel & flees (1Kings 18-19)
· Nehemiah rebuilds the walls > enemy raises opposition (Neh 2)
· Peter walks on water > Denies the Lord 3 times (Lu 22)
· Solemn last supper > dispute over whose the greatest (Lu 22)
· Adam & Eve perfect, sinless > Satan, Sin, Death (Gen 3)
· Noah’s ark, safe thru flood > Uncovered drunk in tent (Gen 6-9)
· Abraham- God’s covenant promise > Wife Sarah, Hagar (Gen 15-16)
· Moses meets God on Sinai > Aaron leads in idolatry (Gen 31-32)
· Cross Creek’s Celebration Sunday > ...
They went through on dry ground with a walls of water on their right & left (14:29)
I even have underwater pictures of chariot wheels & axles recently found in the Red Sea!
Moses & the people sang a song of deliverance to the Lord... Lord reigns forever & ever (14:29)
They experienced great blessing, then only three days later they were confronted with a great testing.
Exodus 15:22-26 (quickview)  Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea and they went into the Desert of Shur. For three days they traveled in the desert without finding water. When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter. 23 (That is why the place is called Marah.) 24 So the people grumbled against Moses, saying, "What are we to drink?"
25 Then Moses cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became sweet. There the Lord made a decree and a law for them, and there he tested them. 26 He said, "If you listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you."
27 Then they came to Elim, where there were twelve springs and seventy palm trees, and they camped there near the water.
“There He tested them” – there He proved them. There God tried to grow them spiritually.
1. Testing is for our GOOD. (Vs 22-23)
Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea and they went into the Desert of Shur. For three days they traveled in the desert without finding water. When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter. 23 (That is why the place is called Marah.)
James 1:2-4 (quickview)  Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
God brings men into deep waters not to drown them but to cleanse them.
In adversity we usually want God to do a removing job when He wants to do an improving job.