Summary: This is the 22nd sermon in the series "The End". This sermon is about the 7 bowl judgments of the Tribulation.
Sunday Evening September 22, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: “The End” [#22]
1. The great distress that Jesus was talking about was the judgments of the last half of the Tribulation.
2. During this 42 months, God will pour out seven bowls of judgment upon this evil world.
3. Many of these judgments are similar to those in Egypt. These are literal judgments.
Bowl # 1
1. This judgment introduces very painful sores or boils upon human beings.
2. This during the “Great Tribulation” because it is happening while the Antichrist is being worshipped.
3. The recipients of this is all those who are not saved. Any believer’s living will be protected from this.
1. We have seen God turn a third of the sea into blood already, but this time it is the whole sea.
2. Imagine how terrible the smell will be with everything in the sea dieing and floating to the top.
3. This will definitely create problems with the world’s water supply and will destroy whatever was left of the fishing industry.
1. God will destroy the only remaining sources of water.
2. Imagine the panic on this earth when there is no water, only blood. In fact this blood is corrupt blood, which will breed disease and pestilence.
3. It is interesting that the “angel in charge of the waters” proclaims the justification of this judgment. The angel says that the Antichrist has been thirsty for the blood of believers and so God is going to change his water source to blood.
1. The sun will be shining at full power. We have endured heat waves before, but we have had the nighttime to give us relief.
2. This time there is no relief, the sun will be so hot that it will scorch people. These people will be given a taste of the torment of hell. Constant burning heat with no drinking water.
3. Now surely lost people would turn to God right? This shows how hardened those people will be. Not only will they not turn to God, they will curse God.
1. The terrible scorching heat is replaced with complete darkness.
2. Imagine being in total darkness while in pain from sores and severe sunburn. Complete darkness is “nerve racking.”
3. Even after all of this, people are still cursing God and in fact refuse to repent of their sins.
1. This huge river that has stood as a natural barrier between the East and West had has been a natural barrier against the armies of the world will dry up to make way for the “Kings from the East. Who is these Kings? The literal expression here is “the Kings form the sun rising” which would indicate Kings form Oriental nations.
2. The second part of this judgment reveals three unclean frogs like spirits that come from the mouths of the devil, the Antichrist and the False Prophet. These deceiving spirits pull all of these Kings together to get ready to battle God.
3. This battle will take place at Armageddon. Armageddon means “the valley of Megiddo.” There has already been some great battle’s here. Barak defeated the Canaanites (Judges 4:15), Gideon defeated the Midianites (Judges 7) and Saul and Josiah both died in this valley. With the armies of the world gathering, Jesus challenges those believers still living to remain faithful.