Summary: This sermon is about the Great Grace that David showed unto Mephibosheth and the Grace that Jesus has shown unto us
Grace was available ~ 2 Sam 9:1-4
David much desired to show mercy or kindness or grace to someone of he house of Saul because of Jonathan
1And David said, Is there yet any that is left of the house of Saul, that I may shew him kindness for Jonathan’s sake?
• David sought to show kindness unto the house of Saul for Jonathans sake
• David loved Jonathan
2And there was of the house of Saul a servant whose name was Ziba. And when they had called him unto David, the king said unto him, Art thou Ziba? And he said, Thy servant is he.
• They brought Ziba unto David, which was a servant unto the house of Saul
3And the king said, Is there not yet any of the house of Saul, that I may shew the kindness of God unto him? And Ziba said unto the king, Jonathan hath yet a son, which is lame on his feet.
• David asked is there anyone left of the house that I can show kindness unto
• Ziba told him of one that was Jonathans son which was lame
4And the king said unto him, Where is he? And Ziba said unto the king, Behold, he is in the house of Machir, the son of Ammiel, in Lodebar.
• David wanted to know where he was
• He was staying in the house of Machir down in Lodebar
Grace was offered ~ 2 Sam 9:5-12
David offered grace unto Mephibsheth
5Then king David sent, and fetched him out of the house of Machir, the son of Ammiel, from Lodebar.
• David sent down to Lodebar to get him
6Now when Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, was come unto David, he fell on his face, and did reverence. And David said, Mephibosheth. And he answered, Behold thy servant!
• When Mephibosheth arrived he humbled himself and bowed down in reverence
• Please note: He did not know that David wanted to show him kindness ~ He had every right to believe that David had not intentions of showing him kindness
7And David said unto him, Fear not: for I will surely shew thee kindness for Jonathan thy father’s sake, and will restore thee all the land of Saul thy father; and thou shalt eat bread at my table continually.
• David told him not to worry for I am going to show you kindness
• I am going to show you kindness for Jonathans sake
• I am going to restore thee all the land of Saul
• You are going to eat at my table from now on
8And he bowed himself, and said, What is thy servant, that thou shouldest look upon such a dead dog as I am?
• Meohibosheth said unto David what is your servant that look upon me as worthless as I am
9Then the king called to Ziba, Saul’s servant, and said unto him, I have given unto thy master’s son all that pertained to Saul and to all his house.
• David let Ziba know what was going on
10Thou therefore, and thy sons, and thy servants, shall till the land for him, and thou shalt bring in the fruits, that thy master’s son may have food to eat: but Mephibosheth thy master’s son shall eat bread alway at my table. Now Ziba had fifteen sons and twenty servants.
• David told him that they are going to take care of the land for him
• David you are going to bring in the fruit for him
• But Mephibosheth shall at my table