Summary: Admonish each person to live holy and godly because of four greats.
July 7, 2002 AM
Subject: Holy Living
Central Theme: How should I live my life?
Objective: Every person should live holy lives because of four Greats.
Introduction: I don’t know about you, but I think about the coming of the Lord quite often. For some the coming of the Lord will bring relief. For others the coming of the Lord will bring bewilderment. For others, the coming of the Lord will bring feelings of regret.
I don’t know about you, but I have never liked being left out of a good thing. If there is something good, I want a part of it.
[Illustration: When mama said that there was ice cream waiting for me if I cleaned my room up real good, then I got in there and cleaned my room up real good. I wanted the good thing.]
How many here want good things? I sure do. I want good things both now and forever. God’s word tells us how we can have both.
READ 2 Peter 3:8-12
In 2nd Peter chapter 3, we find some things that are going to happen. They will happen, it’s just a matter of time.
Peter says a remarkable thing in verse 11. He says that since you know all this stuff is coming, how should you live? I want to give you four Greats that ought to convince us to live godly and holy.
I. Great Day
Read Rev 6:12-17
Revelation 6:17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?
A. Of Wrath
1. Wrath is defined as anger exhibited in punishment.
2. It’s pretty bad when the strong men get scared.
[Illustration: I remember a time when I was in about the forth grade. My family had just gotten back from seeing a good movie. We lived in an apartment complex where the parking lot was detached from the main housing units. While we were walking from the car to the house, a big dog came barking and running up to us. It scared all of us, but it scared my step dad the most. He took my mom by the shoulders and put her in front of him to guard himself from the dog. My mom screamed even louder. I don’t remember what happened to the dog, but I know my step dad got a chewing out by mom.
It just doesn’t seem right when the strong act like they are the weak.]
2. This day that the sixth seal is broken will be a great day of wrath. There will be no heroes. There will be no strong men. Everyone’s courage will melt at the brightness of the coming of the Lord.
B. Who shall be able to stand?
1. Have you ever surrendered yourself to the inevitable? Like you’re in a situation where you know you’re going to fall. It’s just a matter of time. You can see yourself in slow motion. Soon you just try to limit the damage.
a) On this day, people will see it coming. They will be able to do nothing about it. They will try to limit the damage, but in the end they shall be destroyed by the power of Jesus’ voice.
2. This is a rhetorical question. The answer is that Christians will be able to stand and no one else.
a) Those who are holy and living according to godliness and holiness.
C. What is Holiness?
1. A Christian is considered holy when they are consecrated to God’s service, and in so far as they are conformed in all things to the will of God.