Summary: Thank God that relief from suffering is coming through Jesus Christ!
1. Sin has done much more damage than we really realize.
2. We suffer in this world… because of sin. – Read 8:18
• We experience pains & problems in this world… because of sin.
• Fears, anxieties, hurts & bitterness… because of sin.
As we go back to the Garden of Eden.
• Adam & Eve learned in an instant that if you roam away from God’s will, you will quickly begin to groan.
• Sin brings on pains & problems… every time, all the time.
Looking back to Romans 5:12ff, we learned about the Adam Bomb!
• How Adam’s sin exploded into all of humanity!
• Adam’s sin brought devastating damage to every human being to ever walk the face of the earth. Why?
Because Adam was our representative… standing in the place of humanity.
• Adam was a perfect representative of human beings.
• When he sinned, it was just as A man, but as THE man.
• Really, Adam was OUR man… So when he sinned, we sinned.
#1 – v12,19 – Adam’s Failure brought SIN Into the world.
#2 – v12-15 – Adam’s Failure brought DEATH into the world.
#3 – v16-17 – His Failure brought CONDEMNATION into the world.
NOW SOME SAY, “That’s not fair for God condemn the whole world just because of one man’s disobedience.”
• It was not only fair, but it was also wise and gracious!
• The truth is that if God tested every human being individually, the results would have been exactly the same: disobedience.
• But even more than that, by condemning the whole human race through one man (Adam), God was then able to save the human race through one man (Jesus Christ).
If I believe in Jesus today… His finished work of forgiveness and salvation, I will be saved. Is that fair? NO.
• But God has made a way for you to esacape… take it.
SO it makes sense that all of humanity was touched by Adam’s sin but his sin did more than that…
• Adam’s sin didn’t just affect humans, but all of creation.
• Let’s go back to Genesis 3:1ff
• At the fall, a curse came upon the earth, upon creation.
• Notice Genesis 3:17ff
• The curse came upon the whole world by the sin of Adam.
• But thank God that relief is coming through Jesus Christ!
1. (8:19) Earnest expectation.
a. There is this eagerness in creation waiting for God’s revelation!
b. There is this anxious longing with intent expectancy.
c. You could say that the creation is standing on tiptoes, as it were, as it waits…
NOTE: The promise of a redeemed world, a renewed creation is something that the Jews would be familiar with.
Isaiah 65:17 (NKJV) 17 “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind.
• It was a time when all pain, oppression, slavery, anxiety, sorrow and persecution would end and the Lord would rule & reign!
Colossians 3:4 (NKJV) 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
John was given a glimpse of this time… look at Revelation 21:1ff
AND so creation eagerly waiting, expecting… a glorious day?
Why? What did sin do to creation? 3 Things…
#1 – v20 – Creation was SUBJECTED TO FUTILITY (EMPTINESS)
• Before the fall, no weeds or thistles or poisonous plants.