Summary: This is the 4th sermon in the series "Living In Times Of Spiritual Decay".
Series: Living In Times Of Spiritual Decay[#4]
GROANING OR GROWING?
As we have been studying, the Israelites would do o.k. while the judge was living; but as soon as the judge died they would start worshipping other gods.
As we come to Judges 6 we find the same pattern occurring; but I want us to look at how God called and used a judge the name of Gideon. As we study Gideon’s life, make some comparisons to your own life and ask this question, “Am I groaning about things or growing in the Lord”?
I want you to notice the progression of events of Gideon’s call by God:
1. Gideon recognized the problem and was wanting God to send someone to take care of it.
2. Often when God burdens us, it is evidence of our call for that task.
3. It is human nature for us to find many reasons why God has chosen the wrong person. God is not looking for ability, He is looking for availability.
As Galatians 2:20 says, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
In order for us to serve God faithfully we must be:
2. Deny yourself- Clean it up!
3. Take up your cross and follow Him.
If we are going to be committed Christians we must be committed…
1. To follow God even when you are scared.
2. To be filled with the Spirit.
3. To do it God’s way.
We must continue on…
1. When you don’t see any way of victory. God knows your fears and concerns. Keep your eyes and ears open. God will give you the victory.
2. When your allies complain and criticize.
3. When you are exhausted.
Gideon and his army was victorious. Here is 3 last things to remember after God has given you the victory:
1. Give God the credit.
2. Guide others toward God as being their King.
3. Give daily attention to your spiritual life or it will “slip”.