Summary: a church of order
Guidelines for the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
This may seem like a strange title for the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, but the working of the Spirit is in conjunction with God’s Word. They don’t work independently of each other, but flow together. So we find in scripture certain guidelines for being used by the Spirit of God.
1. to be witnesses—Acts 1:8—the gifts of the Spirit of God working in our lives is to empower us to be witnesses. As God uses us in the power of the spirit people come to know Christ. Every gift should be for the purpose of souls.
2. create interest in unbelievers—Acts 2:12- what meaneth this? As the gifts operate within a church it should create an interest in the unbelievers.
3. prepare for the spoken word or preaching—Acts 2:14
the power of the spirit of God is preparation for the preaching of the Word. It is not a substitute for, it is an enhancing of.
4. all must operate by the gift of love—I Corinthians 12:31
the gifts of the Holy Spirit must operate in a vessel of love. Now abides faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these is love.
5. desire spiritual gifts—I Corinthians 14:1—the next guideline is that for the spirit to operate in a church there must be willing and open vessels.
6. I Corinthians 14:3—edification, exhortation, and comfort. The gifts of God will produce in the hearers these things.
7. I Corithians 14:26—33the church isn’t just a tongues and interpretation center or a place for just continual prophesies.
Verse 40—let things be done decently and in order.
2 or 3 special tongues or prophecies is sufficient in any one service.
8. God is not the author of confusion---if things are done in such a way
As to drive people away from a church, it is not of God.