Summary: The Jebusites "trash-talked" to David that even their lame and blind could fend off his troops from taking Jerusalem. We too have strongholds we've allowed that Satan tells us we can't overcome, but Jesus has come to help us defeat them!
HAD ENOUGH OF THE ENEMY’S BLUFF?
2 SAM. 5:3,6-9
A. HUMOR: FACT OR FICTION
1. I spend a lot of time with my grandkids and sometimes they have some very perceptive questions.
2. One pastor (not me) had just been telling his grandchildren a fascinating bedtime story. When it was finished, ones of the older ones, Johnny, took a deep breath and said, “Grandpa, was that all true or were you just preaching?” He must have gotten the idea that grandpa stretched it sometimes! [Treasury of Humor, Clyde Murdock]
3 When all the elders of Israel had come to King David at Hebron, the king made a covenant with them at Hebron before the Lord, and they anointed David king over Israel.6 The king and his men marched to Jerusalem to attack the Jebusites, who lived there. The Jebusites said to David, “You will not get in here; even the blind and the lame can ward you off.” They thought, “David cannot get in here.” 7 Nevertheless, David captured the fortress of Zion—which is the City of David. 8 On that day David had said, “Anyone who conquers the Jebusites will have to use the water shaft to reach those ‘lame and blind’ who are David’s enemies.” 9 David then took up residence in the fortress and called it the City of David. NIV
1. We’re going to see this morning how the enemy tries to hinder you but how God wants to give you victory!
2. Title: “Had Enough of the Enemy’s Bluff?”
I. A NEW DAY HAS DAWNED
A. GOD IS DOING A NEW THING
1. God says, “Behold, I am doing a new thing!” Isa. 43:19. God always wants to do a new thing in our lives. The question is, will we allow it and participate in it?
2. God raised up a champion, David, who would eventually defeat all the nations around Israel and end all warfare. Spiritually, God has raised up a Champion for US – the Greater Son of David – the Lord Jesus Christ!
3. He is “God’s Anointed.” He’s come to defeat all the hindrances, strongholds, problems, and temptations in your life. Two things remain for us to achieve this:
4. We, like Israel, must make a covenant – a heart agreement with God – that we will serve Him all the days of our lives. The second requirement is that we make God’s Champion, Jesus, our sovereign King! We must join with Him and follow Him, as His soldiers. A soldier no longer does his/her own will, but follows the lead of their commanding officer.
5. So for Israel, it was a Year of New Beginnings! This year can be one for you if you commit your life to Jesus!
B. SEEKING THE HIGH GROUND
1. David immediately lead them to seek “higher ground.” “Higher ground” in military terms and from a battle perspective, is ground which is much more defensible, a place where you are safer, and a place from which the enemy will find it much more difficult to dislodge you from your faith, in the future.
2. David sensed this; you should too! “HIGHER GROUND” for the Christian, is developing a solid walk with God, getting involved with others in a church (2 are better than 1), developing a strong prayer life, and daily reading the Bible, etc. The devil will find it far more difficult to bring you down in the future if you get a strong walk with God.
II. THE ENEMIES’ CHILLING BOAST
“The Jebusites said to David, "You will not get in here; even the blind and the lame can ward you off." They thought, "David cannot get in here", 2 Sam. 5:6.
A. THE LAST STRONGHOLD OF CANAAN
1. God had said from the beginning (even from the burning bush) that the Jebusites were to be dispossessed because of their sin (Ex. 3:8,17; 13:5; 23:23, etc.). But for almost 400 years, the Israelites had not been able to conquer this 12-acre stronghold.
2. MANY OF US HAVE STRONGHOLDS:
a. Some of you have KIDS that aren’t saved or that you have a bad relationship with – that’s a stronghold!
b. Some of you have FINANCIAL STRESS;
c. Others have chronic HEALTH PROBLEMS;
d. Others have MARITAL PROBLEMS;
e. Some of you battle LONELINESS or DEPRESSION.
f. Some of you battle TEMPTATIONS – pornography, alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, cursing, unforgiveness, bad thoughts, sex outside marriage, etc.
3. YOU MUST NOT GIVE UP THE BATTLE! The Israelites had accepted that the Jebusites would always be there; they no longer tried to dislodge them. They were actually being disobedient to God by allowing them to stay! And we can do the same thing! “But I just can’t do it, Pastor!”
4. But, praise God, we don’t have to face our strongholds alone, WE HAVE A CHAMPION, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, if you’re a Christian, He’s living inside of you and is present to help you defeat your stronghold.