Summary: How a widow teaches us about emptiness. What we think is nothing God uses for everything.
HAND ME ANOTHER JAR
2Kings 4:1- Rev. R. B. Hughes
2Kings 4:6b … “There is not another vessel.” So the oil ceased.
Ever run out of time?
Ever run out of options?
Ever run out of resources?
The oil stopped when the empty vessels ran out.
·Empty vessels … there were lots of vessels – none empty.
II. SHE CAME WITH A PROBLEM (V.1)
Nothing like a good problem to get us to the Lord.
- The bank was going to take her sons.
- Little different than today. Her sons were her only “commodity”.
- She did all she could in her own strength and
came to an end.
- The woman had lost her husband (which was her source of living)
- She had lost her earthly possessions
- She was about to lose her children
- She was reduced to a jar of oil
- All she had left Death and debts … The two great burdens of life.
The good news is: SHE CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE – GOD!
· Folks sometimes our lives are so filled with things that distract us and God has to remove them before we can see clearly enough to see Him
· Often God has to remove those things in our lives that makes us comfortable
You come to the end of your ROPE – ABILITY – RESOURCES
Phil. 4:19 my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
III. SHE CAME WITH WHAT SHE THOUGHT WAS IMPORTANT
She goes to the right place but relies on the wrong things.
· Elisha – “your servant”, “my husband”, “track record”
Some Christians are looking for Gods help because of their spiritual credentials.
- I did this … I know … I’ve supported …
Rom.9:15,16 He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.
Don’t come looking for your rights and what’s coming to you, come looking for mercy.
He’s a merciful God … approach asking for favour.
Your spiritual credentials are tainted ….
LISTEN: She came with what she thought was important …. BUT ALL SHE NEEDED WAS AN EMPTY VESSEL!!!!
IV. SHE DISCOVERED WHAT WAS REALLY IMPORTANT. (V.2)
It wasn’t what she had done in the past. It wasn’t what she had in the past.
WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN THE HOUSE NOW?
· What is available for God to multiply?
· Remember the story of the feeding of the 5,000—(John 6:1-14)
I have nothing …… BUT ….
We all have something.
It’s not what do you want to have. WHAT DO YOU HAVE?
The only thing she had was a vessel … not empty though.
WHAT SHE THOUGHT WAS NOTHING WAS ABOUT TO BECOME
Jar of Oil.
- You don’t have to be a Bible scholar to understand the Spirit is represented by oil through out the word.
V. SHE OBEYED AND DID WHAT SHE COULD (V.3,4)
She heard the Word and obeyed.
- She may have had a little oil but her faith was absolutely active.
- She had no idea why …. She just obeyed!
- Imagine the neighbours.
- There’s the Pastors wife …. What in the world is she up to now?
VI. SHE SHUT HERSELF IN WITH GOD (V.5)
She began to pour the oil into the empty vessels.
- Big and small
- Round and tall
- Painted and plain
EVERY KIND OF VESSEL WAS BEING FILLED.