Summary: Hanging On Can Be Defined As: 1. To cling tightly to something. 2. To continue persistently; persevere. 3. To keep a telephone connection open. 4. To wait for a short period of time.
David Tack- October 18, 2013- Life Care Center, Jacksonville FL
There are some that say that the nails did not hold Jesus to the cross; and, I agree with this. Some go further and say Jesus had to actually hold onto the nails to keep the nails from ripping through the frail flesh.
This morning I want to look at the simple phrase of “Hang On”
Hanging On Can Be Defined As:
1. To cling tightly to something.
2. To continue persistently; persevere.
3. To keep a telephone connection open.
4. To wait for a short period of time.
VIDEO CLIP OF HANGING ON: This is what happens when you fail to hang on---- you fall on your back!
John Walton says of circumstances: “The only way to understand how God works is to see circumstance as one of his agents. They . . . cannot be seen as independent of God or divorced from him for even a second. There is no such thing as circumstance apart from God” (Walton)
THIS MORNING I WANT TO REVIEW THE TUMULTUOUS LIVES OF: (1) Abraham; (2) and, David!
1) Called to leave everything behind (Ur) to become a nomadic wanderer
2) Wife (Sarai) remained childless for years
3) Initiated manmade solution with Egyptian handmaid Hagar resulting in Ishmael
4) Required to send Ishmael and Hagar away because of Sarai’s jealousy
5) Isaac designated as the undoubted heir; the Abrahamic Covenant would continue.
THIS BRINGS US TO CHAPTER 22: The plateau of Abraham’s Faith Development!
IN CHAPTER 22 GOD COMMAND’S ABRAHAM TO SACRIFICE ISAAC AS A BLOOD SACRIFICE AND BURNT OFFERING
Genesis 22:2- “He said, "Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you."
WOW, Abraham had better have something to cling onto securely. How about the promise of God?
LET’S LOOK AT:
Genesis 15:5- “And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."
Genesis 17:5- “No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham, for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.”
For Abraham this was a time to keep that faith line open between God and himself!
Illustration: LOOKING BACK, LOOKING FORWARD
. . . EBENEZER & JEHOVAH JIREH. The first word means ‘Hitherto hath the Lord helped us’ and the second, ‘The Lord will see to it or provide.’ One looked back while the other looked forward. One reminded him of God’s faithfulness and the other of God’s assurances.
Let’s Look At: Abraham’s Response of Faith (Gen 22:5)
1) We will go- You hang on through IMMEDIATE OBEDIENCE
2) We will worship- Sacrifice was a form of worship. So, how to you worship when the very sacrifice God requires is your son of promise?
3) We will come back- You hang on by faith in God’s promise of RETURN
Hold on! God will make the necessary provision: Genesis 22:13- “And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son.
Today are you facing an Abrahamic proportioned Trial? HOLD ON, HOLD ON, AND HOLD ON! Believe God . . . He is able to make the needed provisions!
DAVID AND THE TURMOIL OF HIS FAMILY
David started his walk with God with great communion. David, the shepherd boy spent numerous hours in deep isolation with God. David defeated the great Philistine soldier Goliath and routed Israel’s arch enemies- The Philistines. God had chosen David as His anointed and David was a man after God’s heart! THEN SOME THINGS HAPPENED
David committed adultery with Bathsheba and murdered Uriah (Bathsheba’s husband) (2 Samuel 10-11).
David repented of his actions (Psalms 32 & 51).
Psalm 51:7- “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.”
STILL HERE ARE SOME THINGS DAVID WAS FACED WITH:
1) Amnon (David’s firstborn) raped his half-sister Tamar (2 Sam. 13:1-14).
(11) But when she brought them near him to eat, he took hold of her and said to her, "Come, lie with me, my sister. . . .”But he would not listen to her, and being stronger than she, he violated her and lay with her.”
HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH ONE WHOM YOU LOVE DEARLY VIOLATES YOUR TRUST? HOLD ON AND PRESS ON . . . BELIEVE GOD IS WITH YOU IN THE VALLEY OF DISPARITY? Would you rather go through the valley alone; or, holding onto God’s unchanging hand?