Summary: The characteristics that are worth emulating from Hannah's life and character.
Hannah: A Model for Many (I Sam. 1,2)
1. Brokenhearted: Hannah was barren since the Lord had closed her womb. Her rival, Peninnah, would provoke and irritate Hannah bitterly for many years. Only when the Lord allows us to become so broken are we fully able to realize how utterly dependent we are on the Lord for everything. Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor in the spirit for theirs is the kingdom of God. Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted." (Matt. 5:3,4)
2. Burdened and oppressed in spirit: Hannah cried openly to the Lord asking, "O Lord of hosts, if you will indeed look on the affliction of your maidservant and remember me but give me a son I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life and a razor will never come on his head." (I Sam. 1:10,11) Jesus told us that "If we abide in Him and His word abides in us then we can ask whatever we wish and it will be done for us." (John 15:7) Sometimes, we have to cry out to God in desperation and faith before the Lord will respond to our prayers. There has to be a persistence in asking, seeking and knocking before the door is opened to us. (Matt. 7:7)
3. Boundaries - God knew that setting the boundaries for Hannah was necessary to complete His perfect plan for her life. Do not be discouraged when God closes doors for you recognizing that He will find a way just in the right way and time. He did this for Paul by closing the door at Bithynia and He opened the door to Macedonia instead. This paved the way for the gospel to move to the western world.
4. Bigger than any problem - Hannah knew that God was higher and greater than any problem. She said, "There is none holy as the Lord. There is none like Him. Neither is there any Rock like our God." (I Sam. 2) Praise God that He is greater than any problem, obstacle or opposition that you will face. Greater is He who is in you than He who is in the world. (I John 4:4) Be not dismayed whatever betides, God will take care of you and your need. Speak to the mountain, "Be removed and nothing will be impossible, (in the will of God) for you." (Zech. 4:6) (Luke 1:37) It is not by power or by might but by my Spirit says the Lord of hosts.
5. Blesser of Every Spiritual Blessing - Every good and perfect gift comes from above. Hannah said, "For this boy I have prayed and the Lord has given me my petition which I asked of Him. So I have also dedicated him to the Lord, and he worshiped the Lord there." (I Sam. 1:26,26) We can praise God that He blesses us with every spiritual blessings from His heavenly places in Christ. (Eph. 1:3) They who seek the Lord will not lack any good thing. When we look to the Lord for our blessings, He gives everything we need according to His precious and magnificent promises. (2 Pet. 1:3,4) Hannah knew that God's blessings add benefits without any accompanying sorrows.
6. Breakthrough specialist - Hannah knew that God could bring breakthrough or blockages according to His sovereign power and plan. She prayed, "Boast no more so very proudly, Do not let arrogance come out of your mouth; For the Lord is a God of knowledge and with Him actions are weighed. The bows of the mighty are shattered but the feeble gird on strength. Those who were full hire themselves out for bread. But those who were hungry cease to hunger. Even the barren gives birth to seven. But she who has many children languishes. the Lord kills and makes alive. He brings down to Sheol and raises up. the Lord makes poor and rich. He raises the poor from the dust. He lifts the needy from the ash heap. to make them sit with nobles and inherit a seat of honor. for the pillars of the earth are the Lord's and He set the world on them. He keeps the feet of the His godly ones but the wicked ones are silenced in darkness. for not by might shall a man prevail." (I Sam. 1:3-9)