Summary: Sometimes people feel like giving up.
JEREMIAH 20:7-9 “HAS QUITTING EVER CROSSED YOUR MIND?”
A) Jeremiah, like many other men who have been tested by suffering, failed God,
and then laid blame on the Almighty for his insults and bodily sufferings.
* He was being persecuted and mocked by the multitudes.
B) God had told him in 1:18-19 that all the princes, priests and people would
fight against him.
* But Jeremiah forgot about that, and he accused God of deceiving him. (v.7)
C) It was what God told Jeremiah to preach that got him in trouble with
* He obeyed God, but the people didn’t appreciate his obedience – How many other
preachers feel the same way?
* He preached hard, and people laughed at him and mocked him. (John the Baptist)
D) Man cussed me at Faith FWB Church in Kinston, N.C.
* Letters in the mail ... I got so discouraged ... U-Haul coupon.
E) Jeremiah got discouraged and was gonna throw in the towel and quit.
* God knows the times that I have felt like Jeremiah.
* It seemed to Jeremiah that he had failed God and his labor was in vain.
* 1 Cor. 15:58 “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye .......”
F) Jeremiah made up his mind that he was spending his life for nothing.
* He determined to quit speaking for God ... Quit speaking the Word of the Lord.
* He says that he will not mention Him no more nor speak His name no more.
G) He says, “I quit.” – Don’t we feel the same way sometimes?
* Go out on visitation ... No one comes and we say, “What’s the use?”
* But look what Jeremiah said in the latter part of v.9 “But His Word was in .......”
H) Friend, there’s no place to quit – The devil will try to get you to quit.
* Somebody once said, “A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.”
* We ought to be like Jeremiah – Although he said he was gonna quit, he says,
I) I’m gonna give you some reasons tonight why I can’t quit.
* And I hope it will challenge your heart to keep going for Jesus.
* We can’t quit because .......
(1) WE HAVE A HIGH CALLING * 2 Tim. 1:8-9 “Be not thou therefore .......”
A) Heb. 3:1 says that we are partakers of the heavenly calling.
* We are saved – God Himself called us with a high calling – Illustrate .......
B) Not only that, but God has chosen me to carry the gospel.
* No – I can’t quit because of the high calling.
(2) BECAUSE OF THE LOVE OF GOD * 2 Cor. 5:14 “For the love of .......”
A) The Greek word for constraineth is “sunecho,” (soon-ekh’-o) and it means
“to compel, to hold together, to keep in.”
* It’s God’s love for me that holds me together.
B) Notice that Paul doesn’t say that he keeps going because of the great
teaching of Christ – Nor the great example of Christ .......
* Nor the great ministry of Christ, or the great life of Christ.
* He says that what keeps him from quitting is the great love of Christ.
C) Thank God that His love for me keeps me going – I can’t quit.
* 1 John 4:9-10 “In this was manifested the love of God toward .......”
D) Even if no one else in this world loves me, I know God loves me.
* He loves me when I’m happy – Sad – Good – Bad – Song “Jesus Loves Me.”
* Look in your Bibles at Romans 8:35-39 .......
E) I can’t quit because of God’s love for me.
* One of the best Scriptures that comes to mind about God’s love is Rom. 5:8 .......
* John 3:16 – Who can define the word “so” in this verse?
F) “The love of Christ constraineth us.” – That’s what keeps us going.
* Isa. 50:6 “I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off
the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.”
* Isa. 53:3-5 “He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and .......”
(3) BECAUSE WE’VE GOT LOVED ONES WAITING ON THE OTHER SIDE
A) Heb. 12:1 “Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with .......”
* My Grandma – My Daddy – Friends – Abraham – Job – Peter – Paul – etc.
* But most of all, JESUS – No, I can’t quit because of that great cloud of witnesses.
(4) BECAUSE THE PRICE IS TOO HIGH TO QUIT
A) Take a good look at Jonah – God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and cry out