Summary: This message deals with Hebrews 12:1-2. It is about the race we have to run as believers. It is a part of my series on the book of Hebrews.
TEXT: Hebrews 12:1-2
TOPIC: “Having the Right Focus For The Race”
I. DON’T FOCUS ON THE PEOPLE OR THE PROBLEMS (V. 1).
A. Be mindful of the people, but don’t focus on them.
1. People sometimes disappoint us (2 Timothy 4:10).
2. People sometimes betray us
a. Judas betrayed Jesus.
3. People sometimes attack us (3 John 1:9-10).
4. People are not to be feared because they really have no power over us ultimately. (Ps. 56:4; 118:6; Heb. 13:6)
B. Recognize and deal with problems but don’t focus on them.
1. Cares and circumstances are to be dealt with properly, but no become your focus.
a. Paul learned this lesson (Letter to the Philippians).
a. Negative circumstances did not ruin his joy.
2. Sin should be dealt with but not become your focus.
a. Deal with it through confession and repentance (1 Jn. 1:9; Rom. 14:23)
C. Run the race, but don’t make it your focus.
1. Making the race your focus will cause you to worry and fret.
a. Like Martha (Luke 10:38-42).
2. Making the race your focus will make you stumble and fall.
a. Looking at the length of the race or the race already run will have deadly results.
II. DO FOCUS UPON JESUS (V.2).
A. He is the beginning of your life.
1. It is he who created you and sustains you (Col 1:16-17).
B. He is the end of your life
1. It is he who will preserve you safely until the end (1 Peter 1:5).
2. It is he who has prepared you a home (Jn. 14:1-3).
C. He is the one who insures the victory.
a. He paid for all of your sins past, present, and future.