Summary: No matter what you’re going through... He is Able!
1. Some things just seem impossible: I mean way out there!
a. We look at it. We measure it up. We Estimate…
b. Yup… that’s IMPOSSIBLE alright. Not gonna happen!
c. Like the Broncos winning another Super Bowl! Just kidding.
2. According to Webster, an ‘impossibility’ is defined as…
“incapable of being or incapable of occurring”
It would be like someone coming up to me after service and saying:
Ed, I need your help. OH? Sure what can I do. I’m ready to help!
Well, I need you to build me a bookcase. – A bookcase?
Yes, I want it made out of Pine and have 3 shelves, and have this trim, and this stain, and I need it in a week.
Well friend… that’s IMPOSSIBLE. Ed doesn’t do bookcases. As a matter fact, Ed only breaks things, he doesn’t make them!
You need to talk to Marie… she knows what she’s doing!
APP: I’m sure that many of you feel that way spiritually…
· You read your Bible… You come to church… you’re eager to grow
· BUT there’s that mental and practical roadblock…
· What you’re asking God is impossible…
· What you’re looking for in my life… oh so difficult.
· That love, that forgiveness, that humility… seems so far away!
· You’re talking to the wrong person… I only break things…
BUT CHRISTIANS… we know that ALL IS NOT LOST…
· That through a wonderful relationship with Jesus Christ…
· Those changes? Possible. That situation? Possible!
· In Matthew’s gospel we find Jesus talking to a Rich Young guy.
· Automatically 2 things that shouldn’t go together, a kid with a lot of money!
· HE wants eternal life… but he wants his money too.
· But he walks away from Jesus sorrowful, grieved…
· “I want my money, more than I want Jesus”
· Read… Matthew 19:23ff
SO… how do we get there from here?
· How do we move from the impossible to possible?
· May I suggest a simple solution, an easy answer?
· PRAYER! PRAYER is the answer, the key that unlocks the spiritual doors of walking in spiritual power.
NOW we turn to PRISONER Paul. Locked up, chained in…
· BUT bummed out? NO Way…
· He’s encouraged and decides to write a few letters to share his encouragement and excitement with other churches…
Where’s his focus? Where’s his mind? Where’s his hope?
· On Jesus Christ!
· For the 2nd time in this letter,
Paul is so overwhelmed with these wonderful truths and blessings in Jesus that he breaks out in prayer…
· He can’t help himself. He’s writing to his fellow brothers and sisters but as he writes, Jesus overrides his thoughts…
APP: That is exactly what happens as we turn our faces, our lives, our whole beings toward Jesus Christ. He overwhelms us!
Turn your eyes upon Jesus… Look full in His wondrous face.
And things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.
Psalm 37.4 Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
Isa. 58.14 Then you shall delight yourself in the LORD; And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth, And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father. The mouth of the LORD has spoken."
· And guys… gals… it’s so good to be here this morning!!!
· Jesus wants to encourage you… uplift you… strengthen you…
· THERE is an amazing ministry that takes place in the company of believers in the presence of the Lord!
· It’s not going to happen at the bar… it’s not going to happen at the parties, it’s not going to happen in the world…
Psalm 73.14-17 For all day long I have been plagued, And chastened every morning. 15 If I had said, "I will speak thus," Behold, I would have been untrue to the generation of Your children. 16 When I thought how to understand this, It was too painful for me-- 17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; Then I understood their end.
I. (2:14-21) Paul’s Heart Revealed
1. (14-15) I bow my knees to the Father…
a. For this reason… the grand plan of God building the church.
b. For this reason… I’m so caught up in the grace of Jesus.
c. For this reason… I have ACCESS to the Almighty. I CAN PRAY AND HE WILL HEAR ME! Look at 2:18
Psalm 4.3 But know that the LORD has set apart for Himself him who is godly; The LORD will hear when I call to Him.
A few weeks ago when I was teaching at RMCC, a young boy about 8 or 9 came up to me after the service and he wanted to pray with me. He wanted to pray that he wouldn’t like fun more than he likes the Bible. Amazing… the Lord heard that prayer and the next day he emailed me and told me that the Bible was becoming fun to him! Praise the Lord!!