Summary: True Peace is only found in Jesus!
1. This world of ours has known war.
a. Man against man… beginning with Cain & Able.
b. Nation against nation… beginning with division at Babel.
c. And to come in the last days, kingdom against kingdom.
d. This morning there are many wars being fought across globe.
In the over 3100 years of recorded world history, the world has only been at peace 8% of the time or a total of 286 years and 8000 treaties have been made and broken.
2. BUT BY FAR the most damaging, the most devastating, the most destructive war of all, is man’s fight against God.
a. Paul has described it for us already, life without Jesus:
b. (v1-2) Spiritual deadness, Spiritual Separation, Walking according to the course of this world.
c. (v2) Serving the god of this world Satan
d. (v3) Conducting ourselves in the lusts of our flesh.
e. (v3) children of wrath
Romans 8.6-8 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
NOTE: The carnal mind, the mind that is not renewed by Jesus, the mind that is living apart from Jesus… is at enmity with God.
· ‘Enmity’ lit. refers to the exact opposite of God’s agape love.
· There’s the military thought of actively fighting against God.
· Sometimes it’s a war of words… other times a war of action.
· But most often there is a wrestling going on… a battle for control… a war to gain peace in life…
Mary she knew she was a Christian now by looking at her bed. When asked why, she said, "Before, when I got out of my bed, it was all rumpled because I had tossed and turned all night. Now when I get out of the bed, it’s as smooth as silk."
She wasn’t wrestling or writhing anymore… she surrendered!
APP: God doesn’t want to fight with you, with me.
· He sent His Son Jesus Christ to provide the way of escape, the way of access to Him, an end to the fight once and for all!
· Look to Ephesians 2.14, He is our peace.
SO this morning the hope of peace, the hope of salvation, the hope of eternal life is found through Jesus Christ.
· Paul will take us through the end of this chapter from hopelessness to hopefulness.
· The road that he takes us upon is none other than Jesus Christ.
NOTE: The reason that is important is because there is so much talk today about heaven and the path to get there.
· Most people believe that ‘all roads lead to God’.
· That as long as you live a good life, and do good deeds, heaven is the natural reward for a life lived good.
· Jesus said this:
Matthew 7.13-14 "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 "Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
NOW, you might be surprised to hear me say this but…
· I do believe that all roads lead to God.
· Everyone will meet God when they die.
Hebrews 9.27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,