Summary: How much happier God’s people would be if they would embrace this truth: God owns it all; He has all of the rights to what He owns. Anything and everything you and I have belongs to Him.
He Owns It All
In our culture we are tempted to as 1 Timothy 6:17 says, “trust in uncertain riches”. John Wendel and his sisters were some of the most miserly people of all time. Although they had received a huge inheritance from their parents, they spent very little of it and did all they could to keep their wealth for themselves. John was able to influence five of his six sisters never to marry, and they lived in the same house in New York City for 50 years. When the last sister died in 1931, her estate was valued at more than $100 million. Her only dress was one that she had made herself, and she had worn it for 25 years. The Wendels had such a compulsion to hold on to their possessions that they lived like paupers. They failed to realize the truth that I would have each of us to see today. We do not own anything: He, God, owns it all. How much happier God’s people would be if they would embrace this truth: God owns it all; He has all of the rights to what He owns. Anything and everything you and I have belongs to Him.
I. God’s Ownership is Universal
A. The Bible makes it abundantly clear that Gods ownership is universal. He owns 100% of everything.
B. 1 Chronicles 29:11 “Yours, O LORD, is the greatness, the power and the glory, the victory and the majesty; for all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and You are exalted as head over all.”
C. Psalm 24:1 “The earth is the LORD'S, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein.”
D. All living creatures belong to God.
• Psalm 50:10-11 “For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know all the birds of the mountains,
And the wild beasts of the field are Mine.”
E. All the world’s wealth belongs to God
• Haggai 2:8 “‘The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine,’ says the LORD of hosts.”
• Deuteronomy 9:18 “And you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day”
F. All of Heaven’s host belongs to God
• Deuteronomy 10:14 “Indeed heaven and the highest heavens belong to the LORD your God, also the earth with all that is in it.”
G. All Nations belong to God
• Proverbs 21:1 “The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.”
H. All the souls of men belong to God
• Ezekiel 18:4 “Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine.”
I. God owns everything. There is nothing that God does not own. The song says “He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, the wealth in every mine, He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills, the sun and stars that shine…”
J. Job 41:11 “...whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine.”
II. God’s Ownership is Absolute