Summary: How much happier God’s people would be if they would embrace this truth: God owns it all; He has all of the rights to what He owns. Anything and everything you and I have belongs to Him.
He Owns It All
In our culture we are tempted to as 1 Timothy 6:17 says, “trust in uncertain riches”. John Wendel and his sisters were some of the most miserly people of all time. Although they had received a huge inheritance from their parents, they spent very little of it and did all they could to keep their wealth for themselves. John was able to influence five of his six sisters never to marry, and they lived in the same house in New York City for 50 years. When the last sister died in 1931, her estate was valued at more than $100 million. Her only dress was one that she had made herself, and she had worn it for 25 years. The Wendels had such a compulsion to hold on to their possessions that they lived like paupers. They failed to realize the truth that I would have each of us to see today. We do not own anything: He, God, owns it all. How much happier God’s people would be if they would embrace this truth: God owns it all; He has all of the rights to what He owns. Anything and everything you and I have belongs to Him.
I. God’s Ownership is Universal
A. The Bible makes it abundantly clear that Gods ownership is universal. He owns 100% of everything.
B. 1 Chronicles 29:11 “Yours, O LORD, is the greatness, the power and the glory, the victory and the majesty; for all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and You are exalted as head over all.”
C. Psalm 24:1 “The earth is the LORD'S, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein.”
D. All living creatures belong to God.
• Psalm 50:10-11 “For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know all the birds of the mountains,
And the wild beasts of the field are Mine.”
E. All the world’s wealth belongs to God
• Haggai 2:8 “‘The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine,’ says the LORD of hosts.”
• Deuteronomy 9:18 “And you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day”
F. All of Heaven’s host belongs to God
• Deuteronomy 10:14 “Indeed heaven and the highest heavens belong to the LORD your God, also the earth with all that is in it.”
G. All Nations belong to God
• Proverbs 21:1 “The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.”
H. All the souls of men belong to God
• Ezekiel 18:4 “Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine.”
I. God owns everything. There is nothing that God does not own. The song says “He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, the wealth in every mine, He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills, the sun and stars that shine…”
J. Job 41:11 “...whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine.”
II. God’s Ownership is Absolute
A. God’s ownership is absolute because He is the Creator of everything
• God created everything and therefore owns everything.
• Psalm 24:1-2 (NET) “The Lord owns the earth and all it contains, the world and all who live in it. For he set its foundation upon the seas, and established it upon the ocean currents.”
• John 1:1-3 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.
B. God’s ownership is absolute because not only is He the Creator but also He is the Sustainer of everything
• Colossians 1:16, 17 “For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.”
• Job 34:14-15 “If He put His mind to it and withdrew the spirit and breath He gave, every living thing would perish together and mankind would return to the dust.”
• There is a Protein molecule called laminin. Laminin is one of the multiplied thousands of protein molecules found in the body. It is a unique molecule called a cell-adhesion molecule. It has the assignment of holding everything together in the human body so it doesn’t fall apart. It seems that cells organize in the body into specific structures and that organization determines what protein they are and what they do. There are upwards of 60 thousand of these in the body. The structure of the cell tells the cell what its job is in the body. – a cell adhesion molecule – it holds everything together. What is amazing is that it’s in the shape of a cross. The stuff that holds our body together is in the shape of a cross. – copied