Summary: The theme of this Psalm is how God reveals himself to man. It shows us how God speaks to man. It is amazing that a holy and righteous God would speak to man in the first place. “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” We are sinners a
HE STILL SPEAKS -- PSALM 19
Introduction: The theme of this Psalm is how God reveals himself to man. It shows us how God speaks to man. It is amazing that a holy and righteous God would speak to man in the first place. “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” We are sinners and have no desire to listen to God and yet he speaks to us in spite of us. He graciously continues to speak to us in three ways.
I. HE SPEAKS THROUGH THE SKIES TO DECLARE HIS GLORY - 19:1-6
A. God’s wisdom, power and glory are seen in his creation. vs. 1-2
1. Modern science would have us study “natural laws” and leave God out, but when one looks at the marvels
of heaven and earth and see the beauty of creation, one can’t help but see God.
3. Jesus saw the handiwork of his Father in the lilies and the birds in Matthew 6:24-34.
4. Night and day the creation of God is speaking in vs. 2.
5. We here the voice of God in creation by seeing his wisdom and his power.
6. The complexity of this universe and the universes beyond this universe, demands a Creator!!!
7. Only a fool could believe that this universe evolved out of nothing and arranged itself in this orderly manner.
That’s just what the Bibles says. “The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God.” Psalm 53:1
B. Creation speaks a universal language to every nation. vs. 3-4 “...their words to the end of the world”
C. Nature preaches 1,000 sermons a day to the humans heart.
1. Each day begins with light and moves to darkness, from waking to sleeping, a picture of life without God.
2. Each year moves from Spring to winter, from life to death.
3. We see the grass mowed down. Isaiah 40:6-8
4. We see Trees that cut down. Luke 13:6-9
5. We see the Fire destroying waste. Matthew 13:40-42
6. The Activities of nature are vivid object lessons to the hearts of sinners, but many do not want to see or hear.
D. The lost sinner, wherever he or she may be on this globe, stands condemned before the throne of God.
II. HE SPEAKS THROUGH THE SCRIPTURE TO DECLARE HIS GRACE 19:7-11; also Hebrews 1:1-3
A. This Law mention here is a personal revelation from God, for the name used is not “God”, but is “Lord”
meaning Jehovah. This is the personal, covenant name for God.
B. These verse tell us what the Bible is:
1. The Perfect Law
a. There is no error in the Bible, either in historical fact or in Spiritual Truth.
b. The Bible does contain the lies of me and of Satan, but the total message of the Bible is that of truth.
c. Psalm 119:128, 160
2. The Sure Testimony
a. The Word does not change; it is sure and steadfast. Psalm 119:89
b. It is God’s testimony to man, His witness is of what is true and right. Matt. 5:18
3. The Right Statutes
a. “Statutes” means “Precepts, rules for daily living.”
b. Some rules are wrong rules; God’s Word is right.
c. This world thinks that happiness comes from liberty and freedom. The only way that man can be truly
happy is to get under the obedience of God’s rules, the word of God.
4. The Pure Commandment
b. The “sacred books” of some world religions are anything but pure, but God’s Word is pure, even when
dealing with sin.
c. Nothing in the Bible rightly understood, could lead a person into sin.
5. The Clean Fear of the Lord
a. The Phrase “fear of the Lord” is another reference to “the Law,” since the Word of God produces reverence
b. To fear God makes a person clean; to worship heathen idols makes a person filthy.
c. Deut. 4:10; Psalm 111:10
6. True, Righteous Judgments
a. God’s evaluations of men and things are true.
b. He knows all things perfectly and completely.
c. It pays for the Christian to believe what God says and not to depend on his own evaluation.
7. Better than Gold
a. We have a precious treasure in the Word of God
8. Sweeter than Honey
b. The spiritual Christian does not need the artificial things of this world for satisfaction; the Word satisfies the
III. HE SPEAKS TO THE SOUL TO DECLARE HIS GUIDANCE - 19:12-14
A. The Mirror of the Heart - vs. 12-13
1. No person can understand his own heart. Jeremiah 17:9
2. We need the mirror of the Word of God to reveal to us our sin. James 1:22-25