Summary: Sermon by my father-in-law, J. Melvin Wentworth.
He Who Follows
John 8:12 -- Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."
The game we would play -- "Follow the leader." Try to lead where it was hard.
Jesus never leads that way. Not too fast - careful. Not too difficult.
I. Some promises involved in following Jesus ...
A. "Shall not walk in darkness" -- Close your eyes and walk (slow down and start feeling).
B. If we walk in the light as He is in the light = FELLOWSHIP & CLEANSING. I’m glad for His fellowship!
* You can confide in Him. Tell Him all your heart. (Samson did that to the wrong one, and lost his eyes for it.)
* He won’t rush to tell it. He’ll just burden someone to pray.
* Have you let anyone know you are praying for them?
C. There is PROTECTION when we follow Him.
* John 10:27-28 -- My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
* Following sheep never perish! No enemy strong enough to get you then. His angels watch over you. The old lion walk around in the shadows waiting hungrily (David killed the lion). The wolf and the campfire. Keep in the light near the fire. Keep the fire between, like God came between the Israelites and Egyptians -- it was like light to one and darkness to the other.
D. When we follow Him we will always have His DIVINE PRESENCE.
* John 12:26 -- If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.
* Whether you feel it or not, He is there if we follow. God with us -- God in us. Job couldn’t feel Him, but "He knows where I am" (Job 23:10) .
II. How do we really follow?
A. It means "to be in the same way with", "to agree", "to accompany".
* Like a musician when accompaning someone (same key, same time, etc). Often organist and pianist will watch the singer and follow. What if each member of a band or orchestra wanted to play or sing something different?
* To follow is to agree with God and to keep in step with Him.
B. Who are the followers? THE REDEEMED.
* Revelation 14:4 -- These are the ones who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These were redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and to the Lamb.
* Watch the redeemed -- they purpose to follow Him.
C. Where will he lead?
* Wherever we ought to go.
Do you want fellowship, cleansing, protection, divine presence? Follow Him!