Summary: Principles of healing: 1) Reality 2) Complexity 3) humility 4) Simplicity
Healing prayer James 5:13-18 WBC 23/11/03am
Chance to come & bring your testimony in a minute.
- plus PLEASE interrupt me (and say something. Agree. Disagree)
Not presenting a formula
- all bear hurts/scars of
o lost ones
o false promise… hopes
- all look with caution on a lot of the ‘dubious’ stuff around. Gurus promises
But Jesus I trust
No formula as- when try and nail this down- fails
- Illustr: Dorothy Kerin’s healing from ‘The Living Touch’ p7 & 10 onwards
o Given a healing ministry. Founded burrswood
o 1in 1956 C of E spent 2 years debating the issue of healing
o at end of it all, Dorothy asked her opinion. Expressed in letter to the Times:
MT 11:25 At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26 Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.
- Illustr: Everyman on healing prayer. Investigation undertaken because whereas 30 expected to die with Angioplasty- only 3 did. Observed they were Christians being prayed for
o But when tried to nail it down. ‘statistice it’, reproduce it ‘in controlled environment’ > statistically insignificant
o (prayer is not a power- it is petition to a person with THE power)
- When you try and nail this down- it evades you
- Like Moses trying to Nail the Lord down:
o “who are you” “Give me your name, a handle”
o “I AM!.... that I AM’
But He is also Yahweh Rophe (Ex 15:26) “I AM the Lord who heals”
Healing IS part of the gospel. Good news
- in the name of God
- in Jesus’ ministry (big time!)
- in Is 53 – long before Jesus, but looking forward to Him
ISA 53:5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
- Yes- talking of peace brought with God, but also healing in the cross
- In church history (past & present)
- In Bible- in all contexts: evangelistic & congregational (here)
In fact- there are countless testimonies
- bring one?
- Jean Gamgee
There’s no lack of reality, here:
- happy? In trouble?
o The whole spectrum’s covered. Every eventuality
o Weeping with those who weep, rejoicing with those who rejoice
Don’t squash anyone’s expression of grief or faith
o … and praying for those unwell
Is healing promised?
- let’s not ‘cop out’ from what this passage says:
o ‘the prayer offered in faith will make him well’
interpret that as you may but it certainly shows SOMETHING will happen and God is ABLE
But need to realise – it may not be
- what you expect
- where you expect
o may be in a more important area first
o what YOU want prayer for may just be a symptom
A good/broad (rather than selective) reading of the Bible produces this- balance… this understanding that this not a simple slot machine
May need to deal with
- unforgiveness, FIRST
As it states here- to confess your anger/bitterness/unforgiveness
- to confess that you forgive- speak it out!
- MT 6:14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.