Summary: Every believer has the promised hope of living forever in Heaven. “Since we have been raised to new life with Christ, we should set our sights on the realities of heaven and let heaven fill our thoughts.”
HEAVEN IS FOR REAL: THE REALITY OF HEAVEN
“Here is a small fact: You are going to die. I am in truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing in me, no matter my protestations… Of course, an introduction. A beginning. Where are my manners? I could introduce myself properly, but it’s not really necessarily. You will know me well enough and soon enough, depending on a diverse range of variables. It suffices to say that at some point in time, I will be standing over you, as genially as possible. Your soul will be in my arms… I will carry you gently away… At that moment, you will be lying there (I rarely find people standing up)…” Quote from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
INTRO TO TOPIC: Discuss book & movie “Heaven is for Real” and people who have visited Heaven - &/or claimed to visit Heaven.
• No one likes to talk about death, but that’s the doorway we have to go through to get to Heaven!
“1 Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know." 5 Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?" 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:1-6).
QUOTE: “If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.” (C.S. Lewis).
THE BIG IDEA: Every believer has the promised hope of living forever in Heaven. “Since we have been raised to new life with Christ, we should set our sights on the realities of heaven and let heaven fill our thoughts.” (Col. 3:1-2, NLT).
1. THE HOLY CITY: NEW JERUSALEM: Revelation 21
“Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful." And He said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.” (v.1-6).
• Believers will live together with God, enjoying sweet fellowship with Him, face to face.
• In Heaven, God will wipe away every tear from our eyes.
• There will be no more sorrow, crying or death. Death was never meant to be a part of life.
• Now we cry when people we love die. God says, “I will make all things NEW!”
• No more pain. Now we experience pain and suffering, the consequences of sin.
• People in the world drink from the toilet of religion or perversion.
• God promises to let us drink of the fountain of the water of life freely = satisfaction.
“He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.
• Those who overcome sin are those who will inherit the Kingdom.
But the cowardly (unfaithful), unbelieving, abominable (sinful), murderers, sexually immoral (all sex outside of marriage is sin), sorcerers (magic, astrology, witchcraft and drug use), idolaters (worship anything other than Jesus), and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (v. 7-8).
• Does this mean that anyone who has ever told a lie will not go to Heaven? No.
• This is referring to those who live habitually in a lifestyle of sin and rebellion.