Summary: Christians are to proclaim and ask Jesus to come soon … but are we REALLY doing what needs to be done in order to see Him? This sermon answers the question, "Now What?", as we conclude the incredible book of Revelation!
Heaven is … (Part 2)
Revelation, Part 32, Revelation 22:1-21
- In this final message, we see the HOPE of Jesus Christ
- FACT: He is he eternal deliverer in who everything rests
-- As a believer, we need to ingest this chapter to handle the first 21 properly
-- Why? B/C everything needs to point to Christ; else it’s about you and me
- Tonight, I want us to feed on this chapter; to draw strength from it
-- God has provided us the finality of this vision for us to look forward too
-- If it were not true, then Jeremiah 29:11 would have no bite to it!
- Tonight we look at (and answer) a nagging question: “Now what?”
- Read Revelation 22:1-21
Ω Point 1 – Eden’s Restoration (v1-6)
- This is the paradise promised to God’s people
-- V3: There is no more curse on God’s people (very IMPORTANT)
-- IMP APP: Jesus became the curse for us: Deut 21:23 tells us, “Anyone who is hung on a tree is under God’s curse …”
- We were cursed from the very beginning when Adam sinned (Gen 3:17)
-- This is the finality of what Christ has done for us
--- Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
-- APP: This should drive us forward!
- (v3) Forever, we will live in complete service to the One who died for us
- (v5) We will live in a place where the sun is not needed
- These words are trustworthy and true
-- The fact is that God has sent us all the signs to learn from
-- We’ve done nothing (which shows us Who it is we should worship)
- WE are to be the servants being sent today (this is critical)!
-- Without going and doing the work of the Lord -- what are we?
-- We are sinners who are not following the command God has given us
-- If you will, we are “infants waiting on mommy to feed us from the bottle”
-- IMP: Someone has to tell those who don’t know! (Someone told you!)
- APP: This should not be how we live (not for the mature Christian)
--- This is where we fine tune the focus on Him, and off of ourselves
Ω Point 2 – God’s Confirmation (v7-11)
- So this brings us to the eternal question: “Now what?”
-- V6: God’s trust is without question for the one who believes
-- V7: We need to live like we confirm our belief in Him; it’s our testimony
-- V8: John takes us back to the beginning to show us God’s comfort
- When we maintain the words of the bible; we are blessed!
-- HUGE APP: What is your testimony? Do you live by God’s word?
-- John proclaims his allegiance and loyalty … Challenge: Do we?
- (Ref v10): We are required to do three things:
-- 1) Know the prophecy
-- 2) Understand the prophecy
-- 3) Show the prophecy to others
- APP: Without this action, we are merely warming the bench
-- We are in essence, step-children instead of heirs with Christ
Ω Point 3 – Jesus is coming! (v12-21)
- The believers promise ought to take root in v12 … A reward is coming!
-- 2 Chronicles 20:15, “And he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the Lord unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's.”
-- 5 crowns are the rewards for the believers who are willing to follow
-- Handout for description of 5 crowns
- Once again, we see those who will never enter the Kingdom (v15)
-- Obviously, to the very end, God is ensuring we know who does not get in
- Jesus’ lineage is clearly described in Matthew 1, but also in:
-- Isaiah 16:5 “In love a throne will be established; in faithfulness a man will sit on it— one from the house of David— one who in judging seeks justice and speeds the cause of righteousness.”
-- Luke 1:69 “He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David”
-- IMP: We have to learn this: the line of David is from beginning to end
-- The revelation of Jesus and fulfilling of prophecy confirms it!
- Are you looking for the Alpha and Omega? Are you serving Him today?
Ω Big Ideas
- V18 serves as a warning to not add to the book
-- Why is this important? APP: It is an encouragement to KNOW the book!
-- Psalm 119:11 “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”