Summary: Heaven Only Knows
A. Heaven Only Knows
1. As a child I now you will find it hard to believe but I was rather precocious, always talking and asking questions - why this why that? My mother would always try to answer my questions the best she could - but sometimes children’s questions are beyond rational answers:
(1) why don’t brown cows give choc. Milk
(2) why do people say the moon is made of cheese if it isn’t made of cheese
(3) If you step on a worm does it go to heave?
(4) Do alligators have to wait one hour after they eat before they can get in the water?
(5) why does daddy throw tools when he fixes stuff
(6) To questions like these my mothers answer would always be the same - Heaven Only Knows
2. I still have lots questions that the only answer seems to be Heaven Only Knows:
a) like why do kids freeze up as soon as you want to show them off
b) why do kids insist on wearing their food instead of eating it
c) why don’t kids come into the world potty trained
a) Why do they call it chili if its hot?
b) What was the best thing before sliced bread?
c) What hair color do they put on the driver’s license of bald men?
d) Why doesn’t glue stick to the inside of a bottle?
e) Can atheists get insurance for what the insurance company deems as "Acts of God"?
f) Why is a carrot a carrot if it is more orange than an orange?
4. But I think in all the world the most common question of frustration is "Why don’t people understand me?" From pre-teens, to teenagers to senior adults
a) It is a common complaint among people that others just don’t understand us. That we are misunderstood
b) We act and speak, and we believe we do so in all clarity, in all sincerity-that what we are doing and why is just as clear as a bell-- and yet afterward we find that our actions have been misinterpreted, our intentions misjudged and misunderstood.
c) Why? And the answer is "heaven only knows"
5. And in all truth the is the answer is "Heaven Only Knows"
6. When all the world doesn’t seem to understand you, doesn’t seem to really know you there is one who does
II. God Knows You
A. Psalm 139
1. Tradition says author David - others don’t know
2. Either way it is interesting that it is written in the first person
a) when we read it it becomes our prayer, our words
b) it becomes an intimate understanding of our personal relationship with God
3. VS 1-Psalm 139:1-6 1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4 Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD. 5 You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
a) When David said "you have searched me and know" he is not saying God looked him over - he speaking as if God has examine him in a judicial sense - he looked deep into him not to his actions but to the motives of his heart
b) He is saying God even from afar - from heaven beyond time and space you know when I sit and when I rise, my thoughts, my going out and lying down - from the beginning of the day until the night - you know my words even before I speak them